Please help me build my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
domingo74 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everybody,
I need some help building a system for my 2000 Land Cruiser. I am by no means an audiophile and simply feel that any system will sound better than my stock system. That being said, I would like to build a system that has the most bang for my buck. Doesnt everbody??? haha
My budget (and current ideas) are as follows:
1. Head Unit for under $300 (perhaps an Alpine?)
2. 6 1/2 Components for the Front for under $300
(i am considering MB Quart PCE-216)
3. 5 1/4 Coaxial speakers for the Rear for under $150
(no current ideas)
4. 4 Channel Amp for under $350
(I am considering Alpine F340)
A couple of other questions:
A.    I do NOT think at this time I will add a subwoofer to my system so I would like to know which components speakers will provide a more "well-rounded" sound. I have heard that some components have excellent highs and mids but lack a more well rounded sound. I guess that these types of components assume that you have a subwoofer in your system. Any suggestions for components that dont have subwoofer to help them out??
B.   I would like to buy my system online as I dont have many stereo stores where I live. Which online car stereo stores do you consider to be reputable??? www.onlinecarstereo.com seems to be a good one but I would like to hear what you guys think.
Thanks!!!
Please help me build my system -- posted image.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
You are going to be seriously missing a lot without subs... Even 1 sub will take care of a huge problem you'll have.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Envoyman 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I Agree totally with Master Asylum....A single10" Sub or a single 8" sub will bring in the missing bass channel that will make the music sound more full and complete your system....It doesnt have to be loud...just good tunes...
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, a small sub would round out the system, there are really no componet or coaxial speakers that can provide subwoofer caliber bass. A Image Dynamics sub might be a good choice for you.
Alpine makes some quality headunits, although they are not known to be very user friendly. Check out Eclipse and Pioneer HUs as well.
Ikesound.com and sounddomain.com are two other good sites to purchase from.
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
As far as bang for the buck, Pioneer has really good stuff.   It isn't as good as Alpine or Eclipse, but then again it isn't as expensive as Alpine or Eclipse...
domingo74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, it sounds like I need a sub.
Any suggestions re a decent sub and sub amp that will keep me under my overall budget of $1000?
Perhaps I can simply keep the stock rear speakers in order to make room in my budget for the sub and sub amp. I have heard that you dont really need to replace the rear speakers as long as the front speakers sounds good. Is keep ing the stock rear speakers a good idea?
bikeboard15 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
hey domingo.  I have a polk audio 1o" DVC (dual voice coil) sub and it's great.  Fairly inexpensive too.  For sub amps, look for a smaller Rockford Fosgate or Kicker amp.  Just don't under power the sub.  I'd still recommend upgrading the stock rear speakers.  They're important for fill.  But you don't need to be too picky on your selection.   Just look at the specs of speakers.  Look for 3 important things: RMS wattage handling (how much the speaker can handle constantly), sensitivity (how efficiently the speaker turns signal into sound...93dB is an excellent rating) and its frequency response range (good quality speakers will have a broader response range).  Good luck picking out a system.  It takes a lot of time and research, but once you've picked out your system and everything sounds great...its a wonderful feeling!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Domingo, Everyone on this board has opinions. A lot of them are VERY differant. Ya know who's opinion is the most important ? Yours! Go to all of your local indepentdent car audio dealers and LISTEN. Research your prices and as long as what you"re looking is good name brand gear, buy what is in your budget and sounds best to YOU. Godd Luck, TCSS
domingo74 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately, I dont have many car stereo stores where I live.
I understand that my post will result in varying levels of opinion but I will try and filter through them.
tcss, I find it interesting that on a forum that by its very nature is interactive, that you dont want me to even ask for anyone's opinion.
I dont want to start a flame war, but I find your post a bit out of line. I have listened to as many car stereo components as possible in my local market but am interested in what other people have experienced.
plus, who doesnt like talking about building a system?? Isnt that what this forum is for?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
tcss is right, only purchase what sounds good to you.  Don't buy based on specs or other people's opinions, buy what sounds good to you and is in your price range.  Sorry, but that's the nature of audio...   That being said, another budget brand to seek out and listen to is Blaupunkt.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic