icon

What Brand Of Door Speakers - F150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed four Alpine SPS-570A (S-Type 5 x 7) speakers in my supercab truck. Playing off head unit power of a CDA - 9831 (Alpine) they sounded awlful. I am really dissapointed. The time and effort it took to install wasn't that bad but the end result was.
Can someone recommend some good door speakers? It does not have to be 5 x 7s. 5-1/4 and 6-1/2 components are game as well. I'm not looking to go to competition I just need a good, quality set of speakers to go with a 10" sub I will be installing later on. I'll he using head power for now but I will be installing amps in the near future.
Thanks!
Mike
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure they don't sound bad because of some other reason? Alpine CD players have alot of procesing so you might want to mess around with it more. Did you wire your speakers in phase?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

I too would check the phase of all the speakers first, then if that checks out, I like the MB Quart speakers. Don't expect tons of bottom end from them. If you go for component speakers you can indeed fit oversize 6.5" woofers in the doors like the MB Quarts. A mounting template will need to be made to do this which is fairly easy to do. They will not play as loud as the coax's will but they sound better for the most part. If you are adding an amp in the future, do the coax route in the back and the components in the front.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Type S speakers aren't world class, but for the money there damn nice. Do what both of those guys said and make sure everything is set up right first.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Okay. You got me. How do I check the phase? I'm new at this so go easy.
Let me add this bit of info. I did not have a speaker harness to adapt my factory leads to my new speakers. I simply spliced into the leads with new wire that had the male/female terminal clips for my Alpine speakers. I'l admit, I had no way of knowing which factory lead was positive and which was negative. Some of the speakers wires were pink/black others were a mixed batch of other colors.
so - I guess I have two questions:
(1) How do I check the phase
(2) How can I tell which factory wires are positive and negative.
Thanks!
Mike
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

ohhhhh boy, my favorite pet peeve...harness hackers!   If your going to be adding an amp in the future, your going to have to ( or should) re wire anyways, so you may as whell do it now directly from the speakers to the headunit, that way theres no confusion and wot not.  And in the future when you get your speaker amp, just run some speaker wires with your rca wires from your amp to behind the headunit and solder them together.

As for the headunit, how do you have it set up, center frequency? crossovers? is the time alignment set properly?

What sounds wrong with them?  Theres going to be a lack of bass no matter what, aftermarket speakers are usually designed with a subwoofer in mind.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ha! Ha! Ha! Believe me, I know better than hack a harness then try pouring amp power through them. Once I get my amps I plan on running patch cords from the head unit to the amp then new speaker wire straight from the amps to the speakers. No factory wiring at all! My intent was to verify that these speakers were what I was looking for as far as sound quality goes. So far - they are not.What Brand Of Door Speakers - F150 - Last Post -- posted image.
My head unit is rated at 18W RMS x 4 and at mid volume levels all the speakers began to distort. I could tell that they were "bottoming out" by the "thud" noise they would make with some drum beats. My factories never did this at the same volume levels (I made notes so I could compare after the install).
You asked "As for the headunit, how do you have it set up, center frequency? crossovers? is the time alignment set properly?" Well - there is no sub installed yet so I have not set any cross-over points. The manual is sort of cryptic and I may not have everything set correctly. Any tips here would be helpful.
Do you know how to check phase and also determine which factory lead is positive or negative?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

To check phase/and polarity at the same time get yourself a 9v battery, put a wire on the + and a wire on the -, tape them down snug.  Now take that battery and tap the speaker wires.  If your speakers polarity is wores correctly your speaker should pop outwards when you touch the + from the battery to the + on the wire harness, , , if it pops in, then you have the wires backwards.

As for deck set up, i reccomend crossing over the speakers between 80-120hz, setting the mid senter frequencie to around 200 hz no more than level 2 on boost or cut depending on how it sounds.  And for the tweeter center frequencie play that by ear.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Great tip! I'll go try it and let you know.
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic