icon

Sparks when grounding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ouzo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

What are some possible reasons for the cassis of my car to NOT be grounded???... (wouldnt this mess up all the electronics in my car?..)      if it is impossible for the chassis Not to ground then why does it spark when i try bolting on the ground for my amp????  help... 

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
The chassis is a ground. It should make a little spark when you hook it up (well you really shouldn't hook the + up till last).
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
When installing any electrical components the negative terminal of the battery needs to be disconnected. It sounds like this was not done. When the installation is complete and the negative termainal is hooked back up, the small spark is indicative of current flow. There are many things that still run when the car is not on, like the memory for the head unit, a clock, or the cars computer.
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
ouzo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
alright so the sparks i saw is not a problem  but my amp still wont turn on...  it shows a red bulb instead of a green one..  my only guess is that my ground isnt a great one    or   i just tottaly messed something up....   when i disconect the rca's the amp shuts off when i connect everything  it shows red...  so something isnt connected correctly.....
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
If you got sparks at your amplifier then yes, you could have fried it.  ALWAYS disconnect your battery before working on any power conenctions!  Sounds like maybe you just had an expensive lesson...
Support the12volt.com
ouzo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

no fuses blew.. i doubt the amp fried... the sparks were not at the amp        they were when i was grounding to the chassis

05 civic
kenwood k815 monitor
2 -12'' Power acoustic subs/power acoustic amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
Pull the amp, take it back where you purchased it and have it tested.
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
disconect the speaker wires with the car off, then turn the car on and see if the amp lights up green or red. If its green then either you have a short in the speaker or the speaker wires. If its still red then do as DYohn and get the amp tested
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic