icon

Engine noise problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpjuice 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

I have a cadillac seville and I am getting a whining engine noise that gets louder as i press the gas. It started when i installed a new TV Tuner. The thing is though, even when i unhook the RCA's from the tuner, i still get the sound. As soon i unhook them from the head unit, the sound is gone. So i know the problem in generating in the RCA cables. I replaced them with new ones, and installed a ground loop isolater, but the sound istill there. Even when i completely unhook the new tuner, and just leave the cables hooked to the head unit only, it still is there. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

sns xpress 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Are you running amplifiers and if so are the power wire and your rca cables ran down the same side of the car? rca cable should be ran oppossite from power wires.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
It is a ground loop at the head unit.  Connect a separate ground wire from the head unit to the car chassis.  Try to correct the problem with the ground loop isolator out of the picture.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah sounds like a serious ground problem. Reground the head unit and the tuner. If that doesn't work, hit us back up and let us know.
2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Just thought of something, are you using a RF Modulator for the tuner? If you are thats more than likely your problem. I have seen way too many of those be bad straight out of the box.

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
pimpjuice 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

No, my power wires aren't even running down the side of the car b/c the battery is under the back seat. I will try to reground the head unit, only the problem doesn't happen if i hook my dvd player direcly into the head unit, nor does it happen on the radio, or on the CD Changer which is also hooked through the head unit. I have already tried regrounding the tuner. I have been told that it may be b/c i have TV antenna hooked up in the rear window. At one time, i ran the rca cables outside of the car, and back into the trunk, and just left them hanging there, and i still heard the noise.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Does your HU have a dedicated AUX input or are you using an adapter to create one?  Your noise is being generated in the head unit, probably due to a bad or cheap ground plane on the AUX input inside the HU or due to bad grounding in the adapter if you're using one.  If the HU has a dedicated AUX input and this kind of engine whine persists, there is nothing you can do about it except get your HU repaired.  If you're using an adapter, try running a new ground for it (or adding one) or replace it.
Support the12volt.com
pimpjuice 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
The head unit has an integrated AUX input but it is not damaged because when i hook my DVD player directly into it, the whine is not there. it only happens when i run the long rca cables through the vehicle
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

That only means the problem is being created by the impedence of the long cables.  If the noise changes with the cables location, then it is probably induction from some RF source in the vehicle (since you say you tried differnt cables, so you've ruled out the most likely cause which is damaged cables.)  If it does not matter where the cables are located (which is what I thought you were saying) then it has to be a bad AUX input on your HU.  The noise is being caused by the total length of the cable attached, which is being demonstrated when it stops with shorter cables attached.  I suggest your HU is faulty.   What is it, BTW?

Support the12volt.com
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me that your tuner is creating a ground loop.  I'd try another one.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic