icon

2005 Ram Big Horn

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
you guys are good. ive been reading your replies and it sounds like you really help out. Anyway, my problem is with a factory in dash 6 disk changer for a customer at the local stereo shop that i install for. I installed an amp and 2 10s under the back seat a while back (high level imput) and now hes back for a JVC head unit. I put the JVC in and the factory amp wont turn on. Of course i figured i just forgot to hook up the amp turn on on the aftermarket harness. I got to looking and the factory harness doesnt have a factory amp turn on pin where it should be. I put the factory deck back in and checked all the pins for a turn on and there are none. The factory deck only has 4 speaker output so they have to be amp imput feeds. PLEASE somebody help.  
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Does he have the infinity sound system? If not he don't have a factory amp at least mine didn't when I had it..
Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
yeah its infinity
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Many times on Chrysler products especially, amp turn on is mistakenly labelled as power antenna (thanks Metra).  Try powering it up.  With the harness adapter plugged in, reference back to the factory harness to locate a turn on.  If that does nothing, check your speaker leads at the deck for continuity.  If you're showing roughly 4 ohms, then you have no amp.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
crx4luke 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Many times on Chrysler products especially, amp turn on is mistakenly labelled as power antenna (thanks Metra).  Try powering it up.  With the harness adapter plugged in, reference back to the factory harness to locate a turn on.  If that does nothing, check your speaker leads at the deck for continuity.  If you're showing roughly 4 ohms, then you have no amp.

He's right, on chrysler products you have to hook up the amp turn on lead to the power antenna lead.  If you're looking to verify the amp in the car, it is behind the glove box, high in the dash. If you look behind the glove box on the left hand side behind the air bag you'll see the amp. I've yet to be able to unplug the amp, so i just  get the speaker wires in each kick panel.

ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

the factory plug doesnt have a power ant or remote turn on of any kind. i dont understand how the amp turns on without a remote wire but it does. i guess i will have to pull the amp and hardwire the remote. i remember hooking up the high level input and i tried to do it right behind the deck and it wouldnt work so i pulled the kick panels and tapped into the wires after the amp. the factory harness only has 2 sets of speaker wires (not 4). that doesnt make sense because the fade and balance work so each speaker only has one wire feed from deck to amp. i dont think they use common ground for speakers anymore.

is the factory amp located behind the glove box? maybe i can leave the factory radio in long enough to find what wire powers the amp and hardwire it to the JVCs amp turn-on. does that sound like my only option? maybe it has something to do with the in-dash disk changer.

PS-thanks for the replies.

crx4luke 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

I remember hearing one time that some of the Infinity systems have a different wireing scheme. I don't remember hearing anything specific, but i'd try to test out the wires with the factory radio.

The amp is behind the glove box. At least the last couple of 05 Rams i've done were there.

ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
we tried testing all the wires with the factory deck and the only turn on was the acc. do you have any idea about the signal feed from the radio to the amp? it is a six speaker system and only has four speaker leads (not 4 sets, just 4 wires). does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram for this specific setup? thanks
crx4luke 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

So did you get it figured out yet? The only thing i can think of is that the 4 wires going to the amp are like a High level input, but there should be a fifth wire that acts as the ground on it. If thats the case, then you could cut off the ends of some RCA's and hook it up that way to the radio.

ss-installer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
i found a harness that looks like it would work. it is an amp bypass harness for 04+ dodge. would a high level imput box work the opposite direction?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic