the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Mounting 6x9's in Front of Rear Side Windows?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kingpin111 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

hey y'all.

this is the box in my trunk.  tight fit but its in there well, and is strapped in place. 

sounds pretty damn good if i say so myself.  would of been nice if it was a bit more punchier, but i am pretty happy with it.

i have the crossover set at 120hz, as i listen mostly to rock.  subsonic filter is off, and bass boost is up just a bit.  i have the gain turned all the way upMounting 6x9's in Front of Rear Side Windows? -- posted image.(before you guys all start freaking)i have a gain remote by the drivers seat which is up about 20-25%.

here is the question.  in one of the pictures you see a small window(one behind the passenger and driver seat) it measures roughly 11"wide, 15"high, and 4-5"deep.  i had to take my 6x9's off the rear deck cause they were flutterin like leaves in the wind from all the air the 2 12's  are  moving.  now i have lost most of my mids as all i have left are my 4' infinities up front.  i would like like to get some of that mid and mid-bass back, by installing the 6x9's in the windows.  

no. i am not buying new speakers , as i have spent enough money already, don't mean to sound rude there.

the depth of the 6x9 is fine and will fit in the window fine, as i will also black out the window first so you can't see from the outside.

it seems pretty easy, as all i will have to do is take the trim out that surrounds the window, cut a piece of mdf to the shape of the opening and screw it in to the trim and put it all back together again.

do you think the speaker  will be to close to the driver or passenger.  the speaker would be about 18-22" behind the head and the same height.

i have also heard that putting a free-air 6x9 in an enclosure  would kill most of the bass out of the speaker.  is this true. 

please, please, please, i don't want to spend any more moneyMounting 6x9's in Front of Rear Side Windows? -- posted image.Mounting 6x9's in Front of Rear Side Windows? -- posted image.

Mounting 6x9's in Front of Rear Side Windows? -- posted image.

thanks

KINGPIN

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
So you intend to make a baffle to mount the driver in and screw it in place so the window is in essence the back of the enclosure? I suppose you can do it and it will work, although I dont know how it will sound and how using glass as the back of the enclosure is going to affect it. I have a sub question though. I assume you had your 6x9's in boxes on the back deck before, so why not just screw the boxes down from under neath so they dont move. Is seems like you are taking a more dificult and unnessasary road when there is a much easier solution here.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kingpin111 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

i had the 6x9's on the rear deck but there was no box underneath them. they were just free air from the trunk.  they kind of looked like s$%t up there cause there really wasn't enough roon for them without having to cut up the back deck, and even then it was tight. i actually had the 6x9's mounted on a 1"  piece of mdf that hung over the seat a bit.  like i said without cutting the sheet metal deck into pieces they wouldn't fit.  i think originally they were 4x6 or something back there.

kingpin

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmmm, must be 4x10's in the back. Well like I said I dont know what is gonna sound like but if you are truly serious about doing this I think I would probally tint the windows then put dynamat on them to give you a more, how you say, predictable response because this is something that is gonna require modification to the car that is gonna be undoable. Give it a shot though if you feel confident you will be happy with it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Most of those vehicles did use a 4x10". There are mounting adaptors available to convert the opening to a 6x9". To add to this there are plastic and foam "hats" that go over the bottom of the speaker to prevent the subs from inerfering with the 6x9"'s. XTC and American International are two companies that come to mind right now.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
gbody805 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem with my 80 monte carlo.

I have three twelves in the same postion as you, the foam baffles forbidden mentioned from XTC did the trick for me.

I bought mine from crutchfield, not very expensive for the pair. I bought the 4X10 baffles but the have all sizes 4X10 6x9 and most round sizes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic