installer jobs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phjohnson 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I'm thinking I want to get an installer job for this summer while I'm back home from school, but I'm not really sure who would hire me or if I really need to be MECP cerified. I've installed a lot of stuff in my car and a number of my friends cars without any issues (or wires) but I can't really put that on a resume. I was just wondering, who would hire me if anyone? If not, how would I get the neccessary  experience to get hired? Thanks.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Some shops prefer to hire people with no professional experiance. They would rather have someone that knows the basics but can learn their way of doing things. Better to teach a guy with a blank slate than to unteach a guy the wrong way of doing things.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yup, thats how i started, blank slate, , other than the fact i was hardcore into remote control car raceing, i didn't have much experience.  They gladly taught me starting with the basics , and it progressed.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Try Best Buy, Circut City, or one of those type of stores. They will be much quicker to hire less expierienced people than a professional shop will.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
pimpincavy wrote:
Try Best Buy, Circut City, or one of those type of stores. They will be much quicker to hire less expierienced people than a professional shop will.
Isnt Best Buy and Circut City both considered professional shops, mabye not specialty shops, but I would still consider them proffesional
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
phjohnson 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, that makes sense. I was going to try and apply at car toys because they sell much better components than best buy and circuit city do, but i guess you gotta start somewhere. Thanks.
phjohnson 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

While I'm at it, I'm installing an Alpine IVA-D900 (pretty much the same as the 901 as i understand) tomorow on my gf's car, whats the best way to bypass the parking break saftey without that box, she has a toggle switch installed from her old car she totaled, im just not sure how exactly to wire it.

DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
If I understand correctly, you should just be able to ground that off instead of wiring it though the parking brake.
Duke Duke
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
theres a sticky on how to do it on the "video" forum
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
phjohnson, set your sights to the highest level right from the start.  Nobody's going to throw you out the door for coming in and asking if you could get some work there.  It helps in the long run.....more contacts made, more significant people met, a chance to glimpse several operations, a holistic view of the industry.........and a common benefit from all this 'getting around' is that by the time you get to 3rd or 4th on your list you can say "They're looking at me over at  CarToys, too."  Better chance of netting a job somewhere.  Because, as you know, you don't always get what you want on summer break.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic