Front sound stage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guy's,

It's been a little while since I have posted. Here goes my latest, I am currently working with the front soundstage in my 94 Lumina Euro. I have built a pair of temporary enclosures for the doors that will hold 2 6.5" midbass's each. I have mounted the tweeter in the upper section of the door and will also have a second tweeter mounted in the factory 4x6 location up on the dash.

The question, Should I run them in a 2 way configuration or would it be better to run them in a 3 way confiuration?

If anyone thinks that the 3-way would be best, them should I put together my own crossovers or does anyone know where I can pick up a decent set of 3-ways?

Also, I am thinking about not running the rear channel and bridging my cadence Q400 for the front channel. Any inputs on this?

Here is a link to a pickture of the door panel. 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/racer4272000/detail?.dir=eddf&.dnm=f796.jpg&.src=ph 

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
I definately reccomend the alpine type-x system, i love em
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
I will be running 2 sets of MTX Thunder 6.6 components for now untill I can save up enough money for the MB Quarts that I want.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
I recommend making it a 2-way system just for the simple fact that you'll only have one crossover instead of two. In the audiophile world it's generally thought that the less crossovers, the better. I have found that most of the time this is true.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, but, If I run 4 speakers off of a single crossover will it not overload that crossover? I have read that crossovers are matched to speakers per their Ohm rating, is this true? And If I were to run them as a 3 way set-up, I would use a set of 3 way cross overs. I just don't know where to get ahold of a set.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
You could make them yourself:
Passive Crossovers
However, the system would function more efficiently if you were to use an active crossover prior to the amplifier. You can find a decent active crossover for around $200
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm. What's your goal here? If it is sound quality I think you need some redirection. If it is SPL, whatever will be fine.
My advice:
1) A stereo system should have 2 tweeters - one for each channel - remove the extra one tweeters.
2) Tweeters should be as close as possible to the midrange driver. Within 5 inches. Get rid of the tweeters in the dash. Move the door tweeters closer to the midrange drivers.
3) Close one 6.5" off from the other. Run them as a 3-way system. Use a standard 2-way crossover for one of the 6.5" drivers and the tweeter. Buy another 6.5" for use as a dedicated midbass driver. Use an electronic crossover to cross between the component pair and the midbass drivers. Try a 350hz crossover point. If you need an electronic crossover AudioControl makes some nice ones.
If you can't close one 6.5" off from the other then run them as a 2-way system. Repeat. Do not run them 3-way unless you can seal the 6.5" off from eachother. You'll probably need to design a custom crossover for this setup - or bi-amp and use NO passive crossover.
Don't bridge mains to mono. Ever. If you plan on doing this there's really no point in working on your "front stage."
Anyway. Let me know what you think of my recommendations.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

I think your recommendations are spot on, as usual.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

Those are some good points.

I can seal off the enclosure using some MDF and a little fiberglass. And will run them in a three way configuration.

On that note, I just received and E-Mail from a friend of mine regarding this issue, He works for a local install shop and he states that I should use a decent three way passive crossover such as an MB Quart QM 300.72 Passive crossover. Will this work ?

And By the way, I am looking for SQ and not SPL. I am a SQ freak, HA HA

Going off topic a little, I am using a downfiring sub box the I built with 2 10's, At the moment I think that it pounds hard and sounds good. Any input as to the advantages and disadvantages to this type of set-up? I am using 2 MTX 1004's and a MTX thunder 6500 to power them. The box is right behind the rear seat in a 94 Lumina.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Passive crossovers are designed for particular speakers. I don't suggest using one designed for speakers you don't own.
There are real benefits to bi-amping the midbass portion of a 3-way system. See http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
I think the best solution would be as I said above. Regular 2-way component set + electronic crossover between component set and midbass drivers. Run the entire front stage off your Cadence. Forget about the Alpine 6x9's or run them off your deck heavily attenutated.
I scrolled through your pictures. Your sub box looks good. A sealed box is right for SQ. Good job.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic