icon

Studying for MECP Basic Installer Exam

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
I bought the study guide for the basic installer guide a few months ago thinking it would be pretty easy to pick up on (since I've installed alarms, remote start, receivers, amps, speakers, etc and have a working knowledge of 12v electronics). However, there's a lot of stuff in there that I have no prior knowledge of, like how capacitors work and such. I not only want to pass the exam, I want to really learn the material. What's the best way to study it? A lot of the concepts are hard for me to grasp.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
try browsing around the library, spending time on www.howstuffworks.com, and picking some techno geek friends' brains
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

www.bcae1.com

Best site I've read to date for that stuff. I read it before I got the stupid study guide, and well, the study guide was severly lacking. And I had literacy issues with it as well. Anyways, read it, read it again, read it some more. Honestly, you just need the guide for the wording it provides on things. Just read it until you got it in your head and then take the exam. Though I dunno how valuable it will be to ya... Experience is more valuable than a piece of paper (Unless you work for BB, which requires MECP after so long.) The above site will be like 20x better reading.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
definetely use howstuffworks.com, they go so far in depth, that you will still learn new things about systems you have been installing for years.  Check out how amplifiers work after reading how capacitors work.

Also right here on the12volt.com, I have found the most informative help out there (since you are learning from your peers, they usually put it into terms you can understand).  Check out the "Basics" section at the top left, because that includes some great information on the technical aspects of MECP (you probably wouldn't pass the test using only that section, so find out the things you will need to learn (a good way is to take the MECP prectice test) and do a google search for them.

There is always the good old way of hands on learning; you can buy little kits from discoverychannel.com that show you how to make relays, caps, resistors, and other things, and details how they work - these kits are a little simple, but they do help if it is something you are not too sure about.
eh? what did you just say?
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds like great advice! Thanks folks.
tjwuth 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Capacitors, resistors, inductors, etc.  are all explained very well and in as much detail as you like in good Physics books.  I had a Phyiscs background before I got into car audio and that made the technical aspect of it a breeze.
tjwuth 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Capacitors, resistors, inductors, etc.  are all explained very well and in as much detail as you like in good Physics books.  I had a Physics background before I got into car audio and that made the technical aspect of it a breeze.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic