icon

96 Cadillac Seville

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

first, i just wanna tell u guys that this post is kinda long, but if u can bear with me and help me ill really appreciate it. i havent been able to drive my car in weeks now 96 Cadillac Seville - Last Post -- posted image.

so i have a 96 seville that i had tvs and a fm modulator installed in. the car came with a cd changer, which got power through the radio (when the radio was on, u can turn on the cd changer; when u turned off the radio, the cd changer would turn off...also, the cd changer would stay on with the radio if the car was turned off). i had this one shop install my tvs and fm modulator, and i think they took power from the ignition wire, because the fm modulator, tvs, and cd changer now turn off when the car is shut off, even if the radio is still on. here's what's going on with the wiring:

theres two orange wires coming from the harness that goes into the radio (i dont even know if those are the original colors, maybe that bastard changed em?). okay so let me call em orange1 and orange2. so orange1 is then 'split' and theres a blue (remote lead) and red wire going from there. the red wire goes to power the cd changer along with another yellow wire, which initially comes from orange2. the red wire from orange1 is merged with another red wire that goes to my fm modulator, which has a different yellow wire that is connected to an on/off switch (the yellow wire might actually be the ground, but im not sure). my only concern is this: what are these two orange wires and how do i connect them back to OEM-style? after doing this, i would want to find the antenna trigger, which i blv is the pink wire, correct? but, i dont remember seeing a pink wire on the harness that goes into the radio.

heres some pics...this is the wires i was talking about

96 Cadillac Seville - Last Post -- posted image.

and here's a clearer pic of the wires from the harness (this is the one that plugs into the radio)

96 Cadillac Seville - Last Post -- posted image.

so i wasnt able to c the pink wire for the antenna...any suggestions on which one of those wires i can tap into? im trying to have the accessory components receive power from the same source as the radio; that way, the accessories will work as long as the radio works as well.

thank you everyone

-Mir

ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
when you say the other things don't work when the car is shut off, do you mean when keys are completely removed from column?  If so, then that means they powered your cd player with the constant power wire, and probably did what normal installers do and wired your accessories through your switched power wire.   If so, just tap into your constant power wire (orange) and you should be good to go.  Is this for show purposes? Just make sure you don't ever leave your cd player on when you get out of the car, dead batteries suck.  And yes your antenna trigger is pink wire, but just wire your accessories to the orange wire.  Hope this helps.
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

ty, thanks for the reply

the cd player USED TO BE so that it would stay on with the radio, i.e. it would stay on with the car shut off and the key pulled all the way back, and then it would shut off when i took the key out of the column and when the radio turned off. now, the tvs, fm modulator, and cd changer all stay on only with the car start; when i turn the engine off (even if the key is in the accessory position) all 3 components would shut off. i can also keep the tvs, fm modulator, and cd changer on with the radio off. there is no problem with this, but i would like to have it so that the accessories work with the radio: if the radio is on, the accessories are on, and vice versa. the wires where these components are getting power from are already the 2 orange wires, and so im stuck now as to which wire i should use/tap into. do you understand my problem? i hope it was clearer this time.

again, thanks...

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

also, ty (or anybody else) do you know if theres a way to check if theres voltage in any one of the wires in that blue plug/harness without actually ripping out the wire? because i dont want to check for voltage by poking a hole in the insulation and then tape up each wire. i have a voltmeter, not sure what kind, but yeah i have one

thanks

ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so what is going on here is your components are wired up to a wire that is switched, but the switch is when the car is all the way on, what I would do is tap into the power wire you did for your cd player, and you should be fine, that way your components will come on with the cd player.  Go to the left and go to vehicle information, it will give you the wiring information for your stereo, you will be able to find out where your components are being wired to, my guess is something that only comes on when your car is on, just wire all components to switched wire what your cd player is probably already hooked up to.  DId you get this professionally installed?
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

yeah...'professionally'...pretty crappy though if u ask me 96 Cadillac Seville - Last Post -- posted image.

see thats the problem ty. i dont think im making it clear. before i gave my car to this guy, my cd player used to turn on with the radio. now (i.e. after he installed my fm modulator and tvs) these components as well as the cd player turn on with the ignition. so, i dunno where to get power from an 'accessory' source...

ill look at that vehicle information though. thanks bro 96 Cadillac Seville - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic