icon

simple question about using meters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

when u want to check whether a wire is getting voltage or not, what's the best way of going about this? for example, in my situation, i have a wiring harness that connects from my car into the radio, and im trying to figure out which wires have power through the ignition and which through accessory. so, i dont want to rip out the wires from the harness or cut the wires to check for this. so, is there an alternative way? thanks

joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
you could always use a pin or a wire stripped at both ends (anything conductive, short and small enough to fit into the harness) be careful not to let the pin ground out, and touch the volt meter + to that pin/wire, and ground out the ground lead on the meter, and see what if any voltage it gets when the ignition is off and try it on.  That method takes a really long time, but if the only tool you have is a volt meter it will work.

an easier way to know is check out some manufacturer schematics on your car (and hope no one has changed any of the wiring), it is not a bad idea to test them as well because from time to time they may lie!!! (but probably only if some monkey before you re-did something)

Go here, and look up the color codes https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.asp

you could use a light tester if you have one, but if it is an older car, be careful of anything to do with the airbag harness or wires.

I, myself have quite a few of the little kits that you can buy that have connectors specifically made for your car type, and I have attached sheilded crimps on the wires, so they could be tested easily.  those really come in handy in the event you forget the color code for the car you are working on.
eh? what did you just say?
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

do a search on 'bed of nails' type probes.

Jim

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic