icon

Alpine MRD-M501 Troubles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jobby 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
ok sure, thanks very much for your help Alpine Guy! I am pretty sure this will be the problem, as when i turn the music up, the voltage slowly drops from 11.9 down to 11.4 ... 11.3 ... then cuts off completely. The amp itself requires a constant voltage of like around 12 or else it will turn off, correct?
I have noticed that when it tries to push really low bass (i listen to drum n bass so low bass is LOW!) even at a very small volume, it still turns off. Is this because lower bass actually requires much more power to produce the sound than mid range bass? It is very strange because in some songs, the bass is very very heavy (more doooooooooooooof than doof doof..) and the amp doesnt struggle at all, but in other songs when the bass is less constant, it is not as loud but generally cuts off very quickly. very very strange :(
any ideas about this?
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Still sounds like an impedance problem to me. I've run an m-501 as low as 10.5 volts on my display board Your subs should be series wired at the woofer and parralled at the amp, this will show the amp a 2 ohm load. Does the digital read out go off when the amp shuts down?
jobby 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
i had my battery tested and the dude said it was busted up, so i have borrowed one of my friends batteries and it gives at least 12v at all times to my amp. it seems to have helped the problem somewhat but i am still experiencing these cut-outs. The digital readout on the amp DOES turn off, its like the amp just is not getting any power whatsoever. It seems to be happening more random now though, ill have the volume up and it will be fine but then i turn it down for a few mins and it cuts out!
very very strange. Does this amp show ohms at all or would this be something i would have to work out myself? I am quite sure that after changing batteries and the problem still occuring, i have made a minor mistake in my wiring, just trying to find it is the hard part :(
at the moment each sub is wired up to its own ports on either side of the box, and from here the two wires run to my amp and join at the same point. should I have this running in a different manner?
thanks for everyones help so far!
jobby 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
hmm that last part of the post might be a little hard to understand. basically the two type R's are dual voice coil and im pretty sure its 2ohms per coil. I currently have this set up as parallel, and what I am asking is should I have the subs set up in series or keep them as parallel? I have a feeling at the moment i am just overloading the amp.
jobby 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
i have actually located the problem i think. My remote lead from my head unit to my first amp was very dodgy so I have since replaced it and now the amp at least tries to turn on every time i turn my ignition.
The problem now is that my amp is struggling to turn on completely. For people familiar with this amp, It has a digital LED and below this is a blue light which illuminates the LED display somewhat. If i turn my ignition, the blue light lights up for about half a second and then turns off, and my amp remains turned off. Whilst driving, every 30secs - 1min or so the blue light flashes again but the amp doesnt totally turn on (and show information on the LED). After trying to do this for a while, the amp actually turns on completely and the LED lights up and powers my subs for about 5mins or so (depending on volume) and then out of nowhere, it cuts out and we are back to the beginning, with the blue light flashing on and off randomly. Also, my subs seem to be lacking quite a bit of power, even with bass comp turned on, it just does not sound like they are being pushed hard at all. Can anyone please attempt to explain what on earth I have done wrong here? Hopefully it should be something small.
I am basically on the edge of giving up and driving my car off a cliff and catching the bus to work for the next 5 years :(
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Please tell us you don't own a Ford and are trying to use the factory head unit.  They have 5v turn on leads.  If so, try putting a relay on it to get 12 volts or go to an accessory lead.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
lions-freak 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like an installation issue to me and oh yeah, what exactally is "pushing to much power to my amp mean", that sounds like user error.  I have the same amp and its a great amp, probubly the most effecient amp ever produced......have someone check your wiring and the overall installation..........
another remote start season survived...but plenty of custom work ahead...MECP? of course ;)
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
it still sounds like a bad remote lead. My HU used to do that, then I discovered that the switched power wire off the harness was shot. So, I tapped power from the cig lighter, and now it works great. Not using the stupid stock harness for anything now....
Check the remote turn on again. Just take a voltmeter back there and put the + on the remote lead, and the - on the ground. Watch and when your amp turns off, see if your voltage drops.
I can vouch for that amp too. It's awsome! To bad my kappa perfect couldn't handle the power...haha
-Drew
jobby 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
haha no i dont own a ford, i have quite the opposite actually (well, in australia anyway) - a holden commodore. i am using an alpine CDA-9827 HU. i will take it in to get tested on the weekend, but could this be a grounding issue at all?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic