icon

Overkill Gauge, or Not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
accoustic1985 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, I am putting a system ino my 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme Convertible. I am using  Clarion DXZ935 head unit, a 760 watt Pioneer GM-X862 amp pushing two Pioneer Premier 12in TS-W126C subs, and two 200 watt Pioneer GM-X262 amps pushing a pair of front Pioneer 3 way 4" and a pair of rear Pioneer 3 way 6 1/2". The subs are in a 1.653 cu ft box each located in the trunk, and the front speakers in the top of the front dash, and the rears on the sides of the rear passenger seats(convertible). 

Here is where my question occurs. I will have capacitor and a distribution block on the side of the box, in the trunk. The sub amp is sitting on top of the box, and the rear speaker amp not too far away, but the front amp will be located towards the front of the car, if not under the front passenger seat. I am planning to run a 2 gauge positive lead from the battery, through the cap, into the distribution block.  Then 4 gauge to all my amps.

Is this overkill? Im not too sure, but i based my info off of the the12volt.com  website's wiring guide.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for what farrad rating capacitor i should use(and what the heck is a farrad?)?

Any help would not only be not only greatly appreciated, but wiuld steer my in the right direction, for this is my first semi serious sound system.

Tank you for your time,  Accoustic1985

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
OK, First things first, everyone on here is going to tell you a cap is a waste of money. Secend there is no such thing as overkill for wiring. What you are going to run is probally more that what you need, but it leaves you plenty of room to ungrade later if you want, so its generally a good thing. If you insist on buying the cap ten the general rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000 watts rms of power.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
if you do end up getting a cap after what everyone will say, you will want it as close as possible to the amps. i would suggest just having it hooked up to your sub amp as your distro block will be far away from at least one amp. if possible, put all your amps close together and hook the cap before the distro block. i would save my money and get a better battery and if needed a new alternator. do a search on previous posts on caps.
the other thing is that you should not put the amp on the sub box as the vibrations will shorten the amp's life span.
Pioneer PEH-9660mp
Mb Quart PCE-216 biamped
JL 12W6v2
Sony XM-4026 amp for tweeters
Kenwood KAC-7251 amp for mids
JL-4100 amp for sub
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Best thing to do with the amps, build you a rack/board to mount them to. You mount them to the enclosure, and as bullman has stated will cause you problems.

Electronics don't like to take a beating.

accoustic1985 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Question for Bullman and Chad, looking at just the principles and qualities of sound for trebel and bass, i understand that trebel is a directional sound, meaning the in order for one to hear it, the must be inline with the sound waves the speakers omit. Whil bass, on the otherhand, is a nonsirectional sound wave, meaning the no matter where you are standing in relation to the subs, you will be able to hear and feel the bass. This was brought to my attention by a very reputable installer i came across down here in Austin, where i live. So mounting the amp on top of the bow, beside the box, or in front of the box, really wont make a difference, since the sound wave will vibrate no only the box, but the whole trunk, and the whole car for that matter. So in essence, are you getting a better life and longer life out of your amp, or is their just a comfort level inside that you must obtain by putting the amps somewhere else besides the box, just to feel you are trying to get the best life out of your equipment?   Any feedback would be great.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

Bass frequencies below 80Hz are non-directional for most people.  Some folks can determine direction as low as 40Hz.  I recomend not mounting your amp on the subwoofer enclosure simply because it will subject it to more vibration than if you mount it elsewhere.  The chances that you will damage your amp can be higher if it's mounted directly on the enclosure.

That being said, a lot of people do this with no problems, so whatever works.  I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

As to the original question about wire gage, the answers above are correct that as long as the wire is sufficient for the current flow using larger wire only costs more.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic