Latching relay, where to buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jd999 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to emulate the way the liftgate works a Chrysler T&C on my powerless 2003 Voyager.  I've installed power locks (Autoloc) in the 4 doors and swap out the liftgate handle with the T&C type that has a switch. I have a trunk popper also that I'll be installing...

Now, when the doors are in the 'unlock' position I want to be able to open the liftgate using the switch at the handle. And, of course when the doors are locked I want the circuit to be open so the switch will be inoperable.

From the other posts on this site, I was thinking that a 'mechanical latching relay'  that would open & close the trunk popper circuit would work when the doors were unlock/lock..? If so, can someone give me a part # or vendor where I could get one.

Any ideas..
Jd999
krog67 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
find the latching relay diagram using normal relays and wire it where the switch is on 87a and 30 and when you send the lock trigger...it opens that relay up and then closes it with the unlock trigger
jd999 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
krog67 wrote:
find the latching relay diagram using normal relays and wire it where the switch is on 87a and 30 and when you send the lock trigger...it opens that relay up and then closes it with the unlock trigger

Thanks for your reply...
I have a few questions, Is it the diagram using 4 relays (Latched On/Off Output Using a Single Momentary Pulse) in the diagram section? Also, I would a setup where the circuit would not  require constant 12v to keep the relays energized in either state on or off. Do you know if this the case in this diagram as I would want to put an drain on my battery.

Bascially, something that would  be connected to the existing door lock (autoloc) circuit blue or green wires that once activiated opens the trunk circuit and when activated again closes the circuit. - First pulse of power switches circuit 'open', second pulse of power switches circuit 'closed'.

Thank again for your help,
Jd999
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Latching relay, where to buy? - Last Post -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Stockton California
jd999 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
hotwaterwizard wrote:

Thanks for the reply, John
But, in your drawing what kind of switches are the 'start' and 'stop' or are they one?

I'm for something that when engerized once, it closes a circiut and when engerized again it opens the circuit . It is driven by the power locks that I have already installed.

I was thinking of putting a mircoswitch at the left sliding door actuator that would open/close manually depending on it's position.

Thanks again,
Jd999
hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Norm open push switch

and Norm Closed Push switch like it shows in the picture

Stockton California
tbassuva 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Do a search for "magnetic latch relay" on google.  That will get you in the right direction.  The benefit of a mechanically latching relay is that it will not draw power to hold it's state.  The draw back is the current limitation.  You may have to use it drive a bigger relay anyways, in which case you may be better off just using an electrically latching relay.  Either way, search for a "latching relay 12v" on www.mouser.com.  They have some good options, and will get you started.  Otherwise as shown above you can make your own latching relay. 
Knowledge is power.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic