icon

choosing car paint

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mediashock 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, i need some advice on car paint. i am doing all the body work myself and i am going to shoot the paint myself ( in a rented paint booth).

I have few choices. Acrylic Enamel ($50) , Acrylic Laquer (160)and Urethane base/clear (250) , the color is Gunmetal gray metallic.

I hear that enamel can be buffed really nice.. but i dont know it seems sooo cheap. acrylic enamel i was told is alright, but i went to a local body shop supply (in canada) and they told me they stopped making it and there is better stuff out there.. And the guy from USA said its good stuff.  Urethane is best i hear and the price isnt toooo bad but i mean if i can get away with laquer i will.

anyways, if anyone painted their car with any of these please give me some advice, i plan to take it slow and not rush.. i also heard that laquer is easy to shoot and stuff. but its not soo shiny and u gotta wait long before buffing.

thanks

customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Go basecoat/clearcoat, it will give the best shine when buffed and will last the longest.
Laquer is supposed to give a better gloss than enamel, but it doesn't seem to work well with other products.
If you were really hurting for money, acrylic enamel would be ok for a while, but it will fade quickly compared to basecoat clearcoat, and you can't really sand it if you make a mistake where it's metallic and you might make a funny spot on it.
Once again, go with the basecoat, if you're taking your time and doing it right, you won't be sorry you spent the extra $$$ for it.
mediashock 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

the laquer comes with base and clear coat also.. which are you talking about.. laquer or urethane..? anyone else?

customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
Urethane, I haven't used lacquer because urethane is what everyone has always said is best.
I have used urethane base/clear and it turned out great.
klee1981 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

urethane, duponts omni brand worked well for me on my fender, and side "skirt."  it wasn't expensive either, I did both for about 70.00 bucks, but I had all the equipment.  then put on at least 3 coats of a good clear, house of kolor's clear is excellent if your good with directions.

Dude, a rented booth would be awesome.  I painted in my garage, and got all sorts of crap in the paint.   and then it got cold and rainy, and the clear started to run like water.  man oh man.  for the life of me, it shouldn't have turned out as well as it did.

Kevin

Sony CDX-f5700
Hifonics Zeus 170x4 zx6400
JBL BP1200.1
2 infinity Perfect 12" subs
1.70cft, 37hz
Infinity CS5000 Front 5.25" and Tweeters
Infinity Kappa 6x9" Rear Mids
Pioneer 4" rear tweeters
accord78 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
i would use urethane base/clear. i get better shine and u can buffed it. if u want to have a good shine to it put 3 shots of clear on it then wet sand it and put 3 more shots on it since it a gunmetal gray metalic i would be playing around with laquer since all that metallic in the paint choosing car paint -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic