icon

inf 6000cs speaker blown in 1/2 hour

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jss9000 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
About 1/2 hour after install, one of my brand new infinity 6000cs speakers is blown out.(4 ohm 90 w RMS / 270 w peak) I'm driving it with an infinity 7540A amp (111 watts RMS at 4 ohms) with xover set to pass 100hz and above. Do you really think i could blow out the speaker with only an extra 21 watts rms for the ratings? I do NOT have the amp gain maxed out either, not even close. What do you think? I think it was a defective speaker and plan to return it for a new one.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
The gain does not HAVE to be maxed out! IS IT SET CORRECTLY? I have 370 watts running my 120 watt 6's - DEDICATED - a 300+% overpowering situation, and 55 watts running my 10 watt tweeters - DEDICATED - a 550% overpowering situation, and I have never blown a single driver. Your amp sensitivity is set wrong, plain and simple.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jss9000 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
The gain does not HAVE to be maxed out! IS IT SET CORRECTLY? I have 370 watts running my 120 watt 6's - DEDICATED - a 300+% overpowering situation, and 55 watts running my 10 watt tweeters - DEDICATED - a 550% overpowering situation, and I have never blown a single driver. Your amp sensitivity is set wrong, plain and simple.

Ok well this is how I set it. Turned AMP gain to minimum. Turned the head volume to 3/4 way up. Slowly turned gain up until distortion was heard. backed it down until it cleared up. I don't have any special equiptment so this was the best I could do. Does that sound wrong? I mean jeez, I have 111 watts running 90 w 6's. Thats like 24% overpower.

blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
hum this is weird. Bad amp maybe? IM giving my JL SUb abotu 600WRMS rated for about 300WRMS and its in ported so suppose to handle less. Its all about the gain. my gain is at the lowest spot too 4V deckout put to 4V ont he gain. You probably send some crazy clipped signal to em.
MrSector9 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
not to be a hardass or anything but as far as special equipment a $20 multimeter and free tutorials on here owuld have probably saved your speaker.
it doesnt matter how much power you are feeding a speaker there is always a way to kill it.
When you put in your new speakers buy a multimeter (avaialable anywhere) and do it correctly instead of just doing it by ear..
Could possibly be a faulty piece of equipment but I would have to go on the clipped signel route.
BJ white
jss9000 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I'm a dumba$$ newbie,  lol, with regards to audio stuff

Thanks,  I have a nice fluke multimeter. Looking for the free tutorials, little trouble finding them but i'll keep digging, if you have something bookmarked, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

MrSector9 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Just do a search in the forums for "gain multimeter" and select to search the message body.Lots of usefull information :)
BJ white
MrSector9 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Oh also i forgot to add.. everyones gotta learn somewhere :)
BJ white
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
ok for setting gain with a DMM you will need a test tone burned to a cd. I used a 60HZ test tone sine wave @ 0db.
For example ill show you with what i did. You need to know the max power handling of your sub mine is 300WRMS. Then you need to know the IMPEDANCE of the load you will be putting on the amp. In my case a 4 Ohm load. You need to find the VAC your need your amp needs to produce. To do this you take the square root of the product of the WATTAGE and IMPEDANCE. In my case its 300*4 = 1200. the square root of 1200 is 34.6. This means i will be looking for 34.6AV accross my amp + and - with the DMM.
Follow these instruction below once you figure out the voltage you will be looking for. You will need to find a cd with a pure test tone one with 60HZ sine wave 0db. I have some PM me.
BEFORE doing this disconnect all other speakers everything but the amp that is gonna power the sub. Just remove the rca's from your other amps.
1. Turn on your car then turn your deck on and turn off all EQ processing eg bass boost, loudness, etc.
2. Set your DMM to VAC and connect the + and - leads from DMM to the amps + and - output.
3. Turn ur gain to the MINIMUM postion.
4. Insert the cd with the test tone and deck volume about to 3/4 volume. Now slowly turn the gain up till you SEE YOUR DESIRED voltage that you determind above in my case soon as i saw 34.6V i stopped adjusting the gain.
Follow that and you should be good. PM me and ill send u that test tone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic