icon

Type of Material for Sub Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FreakypervSD 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone I  have a question for people out there that have had experience with different types of material for Sub Box Enclosures...( ya I know basic materials like MDF and Fiberglass, or Birch, i think) any way Has anyone used  or tried  those 1/4 inch Ceramic Tile Backerboards they use for floors?   I thought maybe I could use it on the interior of the  box like a veneer. because it's very dense wouldn't that be a good thing? besides increasing the weight factor. It made of cement and other materials like silca etc...  ( WWW.hardibacker.com) might help give the Material contents...Weight isn't a concern....thanks

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
I don't understand what you are tring to do.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

I guess reinforce the box and or get better sound......

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
If you use MDFI see no point in using that stuff. The MDF will be plenty solid. Some say birch sounds better, I guess thats a matter of opinion as I can't really tell a differance. I don't see how that would help anything, but if you give it a try, let us know how it works out.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Each type of wood has its own unique resonance frequency. I think that's what you're talking about isn't it?
I have seen/heard those tiles that you speak of before. They don't really make a difference in sound, unless of cousre you're the paying for it. Then the placebo affect comes into play.
I have used, successfully, a 3/4in thick "matted" carpet. It was kind of soft, but not shaggy soft, but not industrial carpet hard. It all but eliminated standing waves, and there was a noticable improvement below 250Hz.
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
oak wood.....haha
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Unless you have a lot of this stuff for free, I cant see why you would want to use it. The stuff is actually very brittle, you can score it with a razor blade and snap it with your fingers. The pressure inside a sub enclosure would cause a box made of this stuff to explode. The general material is MDF, its easy to work with, very durable, and relatively cheap. It's also very strong. I do not believe that you will actually notice a difference with different material when building a sub enclosure; perhaps for a home theater midrange/tweeter combo enclosure.
Try it out with the cement board, use lots of silcone to seal up all the jagged edges.....and but be sure roll the camera when you crank the volume.....I wanna see it blow up!
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
FreakypervSD 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  

Aww can't I leave the jagged edges? more sharpnel!!! poke more eyes out! Type of Material for Sub Enclosure -- posted image. lol Ya i thought it would be brittle just wasn't too sure....I know this is a lame post cuz I should have posted it on fiberglass and interior forum......Type of Material for Sub Enclosure -- posted image.  I guess 'll just stick to what works....

Thank you guys for all the  info..

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, concreate board is pretty strong, and it can "expand" about an in over a 4 ft surface without breaking! I have played with this stuff before, the enclosure itself will resonate at a frequency of ~15~30Hz when provokedType of Material for Sub Enclosure -- posted image..
What you'll need to do to make it work is put bracing on the OUTSIDE, not the inside. When bracing it, you will have to screw from the inside out.
Anyway, I recommend using either MDF, HDF, or Furniture grade plywood.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I am just going to start building boxes out of the fire wood pile.     give it that whole rustic look.    Havent quite figured out how ports will work, I dont use round ports period.    this could get interesting. haha
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic