icon

probably a stupid question about DVC subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
i just got my amp delivered (eclipse DA6213) i'm going to use it to power a 12" brahma. i've only ran SVC subs before so i'm in new territory with the DVC subs. my question is, the amp i have can do 500 rms at 2 ohm through 2 channels. since the brahma has 2 voice coils, each are 2 ohm i believe, can i hook up one voice coil to one channel and the other to the other channel? my initial reaction was that this will ruin my sub, but i figure why not ask the pros out there?
i also have a simple question about running two amps, one for the sub and one for the mids. do i need to run two remote turn on leads or can i split the one coming out of the back of my head unit?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

probably a stupid question about DVC subs -- posted image.

Like this, wire the coils in series for a 4 ohm load....now you have one load.  The output of the amp will be the same as wiring each coil separately and this is the better way.  Then bridge to your amp.  It's okay to daisy chain two amps with a single remote lead, or split the wire to both amps.

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
by daisy chaining do you mean just running the remote wire to one amp, and then running another wire from the terminal to the terminal on the second amp?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah thats what he means.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
alright, this question is totally off topic but i figure it's better than starting another post.
when looking at amps for my mids i'm lookin at 4 channel amps. but the power is greater at 2 channels. i'm wondering how would you go about running 4 speakers into two channels? i'm guessing it would sort of be like bridging the channels? am i making any sense here? thanks for the advice.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you must bridge the channels of the amp from 4 to 2 in order to increase the power output. Now the next problem is that to connect 4 speaker to these channels, in most cases yields a load of 2 ohms per channel. 99.99% of amplifiers do not like this kind of load when bridged and will let out the magic smoke that keeps them working. So unless you have the .01% amp to do the job or if your 4 speakers wire into a load of 4 ohms or above, then it is not recommended.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Magic Smoke HAHAHA. That's to funny.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
yeah that's what i sort of figured. i also figured it's better to ask first rather than try first and post later probably a stupid question about DVC subs -- posted image.
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
You could also buy a 2ch amp that's stable @ 2ohms stereo. That's what i did in my car ran a set of 61/2" comps up front and two 8" Midbass drivers and two tweeters in the rear.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic