< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cereal 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

the vehicle: 2000 Expedition

The system: (1) ALpine type x 12 " Dvc sub and (1) Alpine mrd-m1001 amp

The problem: No sound from the sub.

Here's how it's wired: From the battery i connected a Monster cable 4AWG power supply and ran it to a 100A anl fuse mounted to firewall. From there i ran he wire inside down the passenger side and connected it to a 1 farad Rocford power cap. The ground from the cap is mounted to the vehicle chassis where all paint and grease has been removed. From the power on cap it is hooked to power on amp and ground from cap is hooked to ground on amp. From the head unit (Alpine cda-7893) Monster cable micro's were connected the the sub preouts and ran down the driver side where it was connected to the amp input (ch-1L ch-2R) The input level on the amp is set at the default 0.1V-2.0V and output disable was turned on. All other adjustment modes were left as is. From the pos. and neg. speaker wire iis connecte to box blah blah blah. Sub is wired at 2 Ohms and jumpers are on far left and far right of sub. None of the (4) 20A fuses on the amp are blown and neither is the 100 amp anl fuse. The display on the amp is as follows: 11.9V, 84F, 24C, ---A

the amp is getting power and turns on with the vehicle. I just cant figure out what the deal is. Could my cap be no good? Oh yea and all settings are set up correctly throuh HU (Sub ON)

Any input would be great guys. Im really eager to get this thing up and running. 

Alpine cda-7893 (soon to be Iva-d901)
Alpine Mrd-M1001
12" Alpine Type X
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
"and output disable was turned on"
Turn it off.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I would also recommend grounding the amp directly to the vehicle, instead of through the cap; want to keep your grounds as short as possible.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Length of ground is irrelivent, just te resistance. Now dont get me wrong, excess wire length can increase resistance but if we are talking the difference between 2 feet and 4 feet then its really null and void.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Cereal 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

i just caught that too oonik. i got it up and running now. Sounds awesome. Sorry for being such a noob ppl.  this was my first install. 

hornshockey: So you're saying i should ground the amp to the chassis as well as ground my cap to the chassis?

Alpine Mrd-M1001
12" Alpine Type X
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thats what he is saying, but IMO he is saying it for the wrong reasons. I agree that you should ground it directly but that is simply because the more connectors you use and the more components in the chain, the more chance of increasing your resistance.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
thats exactly what I was saying.  You lose the opportunity for voltage drops in the ground wire in the connector at the cap and in the cap's distro block itself.  It is just a better convention to ground each component with its own wire directly to the chassis.  Ravendarat is correct, there is not much difference in resistance between 2 feet and 4 feet, but you always have the potential for probelms when you make the ground any longer than is necessary.  With the setup you have now, the amp's ground has to run down the wire to the cap, then down the cap's ground wire.  Tkae the 10 minutes to move the ground wire and you'll avoid any problems with ground connections through the cap later on.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Do you really like it? I mean I hope you do, but I just ditched the exact same setup. What type of box do you have?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Cereal 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

i honestly like it . im coming from two alpine type s subs (the older ones) and a rockford 360a2 amp. this one sub destroys that setup and all my friends' setup. i know their are other better subs out there but ive always had a liking towards alpine. i dunno i cant explain it. Besides i got both the sub and amp for 600. thats the cheapest ive seen one W7. im not looking to blow the hinges off the vehicle 3 cars behind me anytime soon (although that would be pretty sweet). but when i do ill make sure i come here so i know wich one will do eactly that. But, Im happy and  that's all that really matters. oh yea i have a sealed box. the bass sounds crisp and very precise.... IMO. lot better than my last setup....A LOT.

Alpine Mrd-M1001
12" Alpine Type X
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
I'm glad you like it. More power to ya. It just wasn't enough for me.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic