icon

amps for mids/highs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
i'm trying to figure out a good amp to go with for my mids and highs. As of now i don't actually have my mid/high speakers, but i'm looking at possibly getting infinity's or alpine gear. if i really feel the urge i'll go with CDT components up front.
i'd rather get the amp first, is this a bad idea or not? my second question is...i was looking at the eclipse PA5422 amp, but lately i've been looking at phoenix gold amps, imparticular the octane series either 8.0:4 or 5.0:4. what are all your guy's opinions on these amps? i'm leaning towards the phoenix gold simply because i've heard many good things about them and i can find their for fairly cheap on the internet.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Buying the amp first is fine. Amplified power always helps, in my opinion.
I'd buy Eclipse in a heart-beat before PG.
That said, I think the quality of the speakers is FAR more important than the amplifier power, brand, or anything else relating to the amplifier.
My advice is to buy the best front speakers your budget will allow and take lots of time and care in the installation. These steps will have a larger impact on the sound than the amplifier.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go with PG before Eclipse. PG is a bit less expensive, and IMO better quality.
Paul
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
maybe i will save some money on the amp, buy a PG, and use the extra money on a nice set of component speakers up front. if i go with components i would probably get the Q-form kick panel enclosures, i have very little experience with fiberglass so i don't really want to experiment with that, plus i heard the q-forms are pretty decent. any thoughts?
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Never had any experience with q-forms, but I can tell you glassing isn't to terribly difficult to learn if you take you time and do things right. Plus, when you're done you'll be much more proud of yourself for doing everything yourself. And the Q-forms I've seen are pretty expensive.
Paul
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't worry about amplifier particulars unless you buy component speakers.
I agree with your plan - I think in this case it is smarter to buy the PG amp and save money for the nicest speakers you can afford.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
so say i went with a pair of CDT components up front, then what all would i have to worry about with the amp specs?
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
alright, i'm also throwing a Soundstream VGA 320.4 into the mix, so i'm looking at either the PG 8.0:4, PG 5.0:4, or the soundstream
suggestions?
kfr01 
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
Amplifier specs: they don't matter much if an amplifier is decently built. Moreover, most amplifiers within the same price range will have substantially the same specifications even though they don't matter anyway. Go with the amplifier that fits your budget and has the best reputation regarding build quality.
That line of PG amplifiers are fairly budget. I helped a friend install one a few weekends ago. I can't compare sound to anything else, but the overall quality of the amplifier seemed fairly low - very barebones. I would probably go with the soundstream.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
i'm leaning more and more towards the soundstream. i've heard many good things about them in regards to reliability and stuff. plus it's only like 30 bucks more

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic