icon

mounting amp to box, ok or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

as most of you know i just built a pretty big box(with help from stevdart :D) and now i ran into a pretty big problem, there is NOWHERE but the back of the box to mount my amp, its a rockford fosgate 1000a2 and im running 4 12s...... im worried that it will vibrate too much and break solder points inside the amp... would you guys reccomend this?

thanks nick

Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
i dont like mounting the amp to the box, but there should not be a problem.  we have an 05 tundra with 3 12's and the amps mounted to the box and have no problem
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
There are a couple of good reasons to NOT mount your amplifier on your subwoofer enclosure.  One is the simple fact that it makes it easier for a thief to steal BOTH your speakers and your amp if they only have to grab one item.  Another is unless your enclosure is very well braced the vibrations and possible enclosure flexing caused by the speaker can damage the components inside the amp.  But, many people do this without any problems, so it's up to you.  I always err on the side of caution and recomend mounting the amp away from the sub.
Support the12volt.com
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with DYohn, I wouldn't want to take my chances with mounting it on the box, taking into consideration what was already pointed out, I have seen many come into the shop with damaged amplifier because of this, but I have also seen quite a few that have had no problems.

What type of vehicle is this going in?? Have you considered building a false floor where you can mount the amps under it and set the enclosure on top?? With that also consider proper ventilation also. 

projectprotege 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
its a 97 protege and im running 4 12 inch subs, so space is a big issue as it takes up every square inch of the trunk lol
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
if you want to mount it to the box: first mount it to a 3/4" MDF board, then mount the board to the sub box. Sandwich dynamat between the amp board and the sub box. Vibrations shouldn't be an issue.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
I just encountered this exact problem in a Acura RSX. Two Eclipse 12" aluminums in a nice small sealed enclosure driven with a Xtant x1001 and the front / rears driven from a x604. The amplifiers for lack of better words, fell apart. Yes you heard correct, they fell apart. Not once or twice, but three times. After the 3rd time back from service and a customer going wtf is going on here we decided to leave the covers off. Low and behold the circuit board was flexing almost 1/4". The large surface mounted caps for the power supply (not seated with silicone) would just vibrate and flex away until they broke off. Death my subwoofer designed by Rob. Sheesh. In this case the amp were not mounted to the box at all but were about 18" from the subs. I did not like to sit in this care, it made me feel ill. End result, new different brand amplifiers will be going into her RSX. I am totally amazed by the results of these subs in her car. So sometimes it does not really matter where the amp is mounted.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

How about putting your amp under one of your seats.

projectprotege 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
furflier wrote:

How about putting your amp under one of your seats.

i cant, as the seat is molded to sink right into the floor....

i mounded it on the back of the seat, we will see how it fits that way, lets cross our fingers.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
On the back of the seat is much better than under the seat. You get dirt all over it and back seat passengers can kick it, and all sorts of problems under the seat.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic