icon

Question about Carbon Fiber Sheets?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering what tools are used to cut carbon fiber sheets to make various dash overlay panels. By sheets....I mean pre-made CF...not the just the fibers. I want to make dash pieces like these shown. http://www.burlwooddash.com/item/MERCEDES_190SERIES_1987_1992

Can it be done?

Thanks

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
A dremel should do it. Be hard to get the perfect edges though.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
dowmace 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
that is a vinyl sticker, not real CarbonFiber. Use some scissors or a razor blade.
justtegit 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
those panels are vinyl...once a CF panel has dried you arent going ot be able ot bend it to the contours of your dash/doorpanels like you will most likely have to do....very few cars have flat surfaces anymore.  get some CF vinyl and you can apply that much easier.  it wont look perfectly real, but real CF isnt really an option unless you have some serious mold making skills and a vacuum bagging system to make the CF.....
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I didn't look to hard, but those are vinyl. I have seen real carbon fiber dash kits that attach much like that though. They come already molded to the shape of your dash and just glue on. Do a search for em if you wanna shell out the extra bucks for real CF. Also check out that Hydro graphics stuff. The regular CF pattern looks pretty cool.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  

Actually the link that I posted, its real. Whatever material you go with from that site is real. The wood or CF is real.. Its not the vinyl. Why you think its so expensive. I belong to another forum and people have bought this kit before. Im just trying to save money.

And yes, nik, I have looked at the hydro stuff, I posted that. I heard its expensive though.

Jman1980 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  

Well there is a way to do carbon fiber if you are willing to ruin your peices stock finish.  First buy some show grade carbon fiber off ebay next take out what pieces you want to cover. Buy some resin and some eat a bubble then take some spray glue and spray the back of the carbon fiber and the dash peice you want to attach it to.  Then find a volunteer to help hold the carbon fiber and attach it applying pressure from the center out.  After the carbon fiber is layed on smoothly and the glue is dry apply your resin with a fine bristled paint brush you'll have to do atleast 2 coats. when that is cured wet sand with 500 grit moving up to 1000.  If you find trouble getting the glossy look apply a coat or 2 of some rattle can clear coat and it'll look nice.  Have fun.  Of course start out by trying it on small peices of junk that you can throw away so you dont ruin your car trim.  ps I found a very nice roll of show grade carbon fiber on ebay 100 in by 50in for $50

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic