icon

need foam baffles?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Huge101 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
My 6x9's are mounted in the factory locations on the rear deck of a 2000 Grand Am, would I need to put foam baffles on them when i put in some subwoofers, will the subs hurt the 6x9's without the baffles, the speakers are Infinity Kappa 692's. I dont have the subs yet but would like to know what to do.
Shake it, Don't break it
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
yes, subs will hurt the speakers.  Im not sure how well the foam baffle will work, , i have always built box's out of 1/4" wood.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
eedukes 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
So subs in the trunk will not play well with factory speakers on the rear deck? I have two 6x8 speakers in my mustang and want to install two subs in the trunk. I did not realize that there needed to be something to separate the two compartments.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I recommend taking the rear speakers out and let your subwoofer breath through the 6x8 holes.
Rear fill adds little to a stereo system, in my opinion.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, but then if you do that you are basically screwing your passengers out of good sounding music. Having a good front sound stage with no rears will translate into ok/factory sound in the rear need foam baffles? -- posted image.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
A 6x8" right next to their head, 90 degrees off-axis is good sounding music? Try again.
Second, how many times do you honestly care how it sounds for your passengers?
I personally want the sound the best for MY seat. Screw everyone else.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ I like rear fill and would keep them there, so I guess it is to each his own. The priciple of allowing more bass to penetrate to the cabinthrough the holes is 100% correct as long as you want to sacrifice the rear fill. Foam hats guys... if they hold water, they are airtight. They are 100% important in a system with a trunk and a speaker firing into the same cavity as a sub. The sub will physically cause the smaller speakers cone to move and produce unwanted and unnecessary sounds and distorion. Now this is fine if your rear speakers are BOSE or Sony.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Now this is fine if your rear speakers are BOSE or Sony.
Ouch man. I have a '92 Q45 that had a Bose stereo in it from the factory. The rears were 6x9s and the fronts 4.75s. The 6x9s themselves would produce almost as much bass as an aftermarket 8in sub need foam baffles? -- posted image. . But of course this was at the sacrifice of the rest of the frequency rangeneed foam baffles? -- posted image. . But I must correct you, the bose NEVER distorted. Try listening to the bose system in an '05 Trailblazer once. Then compare it to a ~$500 aftermarket system and the Bose blows it away!
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

I also like rear fill and wouldn't sacrifice it if possible, As forbidden has stated, the foam hats work sufficiently, and I have used them in many installs, also as Alpine Guy has mentioned, I have also built them with wood, I have no grounds to say which works better than the other, because they both did the job satifactory.

I do, however, feel in my opinion, that the foam hats were a quick and easier fix, with no headache of constructing boxes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic