icon

Installing sub into Range Rover

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Redrange 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am trying to install a sub and amp into my Range Rover.  The Range Rover is already an amplified system with a factory subwoofer.  I have good experience with installing but I can not get this to work.  The amp turns on but there is no action from the sub.  The problem I think might be from the patch cables.  I do not have an aftermarket head unit in and I wired in the patch adapter into the rear sub speaker wires, but this does not work.  I was told by 1 shop that you can not add into an amplified system and was told by 2 shops that I could.  I have tried wiring this in from the speaker wired coming from the factory amp and then also finding the speaker wires before they go into the factory amp and using them and still nothing.  I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this or if I just need to get a headunit and replace all the speakers =(
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

You cannot take a rca cable and just wire it into a set of speaker lines. What you need is an interface adaptor known as a LOC - line output adaptor. It "samples" the signal on a given speaker wire and converts it to a signal that can be used by an amplifier. As this is a subwoofer system I will recommend first a really good interface adaptor like the Audio Control LC6 + bass remote to conrol the system with.

www.audiocontrol.com to do some reading about how it works. Questions after that, post em up.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Redrange 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I used a RF Convertor, I did not directly wire the RCAs into the speaker wires.  But I was wondering if maybe the signal was not strong enough for that?  The factory sub was a doil voice coil and so I used the 2 leads from that and wired them into the 2 grey and 2 white on the RF Convertor.  I have not yet met someone who has done this to a Range Rover without putting in a new deck, but I might just have to get a new deck for it.  I do like challenges, but this is too much of one lol
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Grab the signal from a different set of speakers and if you are trying to keep it $ conscious, find a adjustable basic LOC. PAC and Soundgate and Scosche make some. I would no tbe using a RF adaptor for this task.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
$ conscious?? Dude you got a Range Rover. Go get you a new Eclipse HU and call it a day.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Redrange 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
LOL yeah, i know, I was told if I put a new HU in, then I need to replace the speakers, but couldnt I just cut out the factory amps that go to them?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
You could bypass the amps I'm sure. I don't know the exact set up in the rover though. Never worked on one.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic