icon

Stereo vs mono Subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm just wondering what most of your point of view's are on this subject. Do you prefer to wire multiple subs up to play a signal mono-tone, or do you prefer to use multiple subs playing spereate signals, ie. Stereo sound?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you have subs up front somehow and on opposite sides, it might help.
If you have subs in the trunk you'll never know the difference.
A better way to spend that time and money is to concentrate on a quality midbass and midrange system and imaging. The higher frequency harmonics bass notes produce are more important to balance and imaging than the location of the raw 35hz note, for example.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
well, stereo sound produces different tones from the left and right speakers. This includes bass. I would think that by combining these two signals into one you might get a little distortion is both the left and right channels are playing different frequency bass at the same time.
Hmm, subs in the doors. I think some 8in drivers would do good.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I realize that stereo sound produces different tones in the left and right speakers.
But sub bass is largely omni-directional below ~70hz. Assuming this is near your crossover point, there's really little to be gained from running stereo with the subs in the trunk.
I stand by what I said earlier. The harmonics, those above ~70hz, will give bass its imaging and directivity.
Also, to my knowledge, summing bass signals does not produce distortion because of the problem you described. DYohn? Haemphyst?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Bass frequencies below 70Hz are indeed, truly non-directional. Actually, a bass frequency becomes non-directional when the wavelength is equal to or greater than the distance between your ears - you can tell WHERE it is coming from due to the upper harmonics in the tones generated... This fact notwithstanding, the bass frequencies will "become one" (non-directional) whenever the frequency equals the distance between the centers on your woofers, and your listening position is further away than that distance also. I add this, because there MAY be some directionality, if your woofers are say 18 inches apart, and your ears are 18 inches or less from the baffle, centered between... you MIGHT be able to say "That woofer is playing, and this woofer is not".
Distortions? I don't think so. While there are SOME recordings with stereo information recorded below 60 to 70Hz, most of the (especially pop) music of today will be mono below those frequencies. Bridged or not, stereo or not, DVC run in stereo vs. SVC bridged, all will play the same... Even in the case of stereo information, those wavelengths are SO long, there is very little chance of even MARGINALLY significant distortions being introduced into the reproduction chain. The distortions will be NO worse than having two dedicated woofers on two dedicated channels - for L and R reproduction.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed.  Absolutely.  "Stereo" has no real meaning below 80 (or 70) Hz.
Support the12volt.com
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
yep...
get some awsome midbass drivers and run those stereo....with a good bit of power behind them...
If your midbass will pound....then you've got a nice stereo....haha
-Drew
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I didn't realize that no real rexordings actually include stereo bass frequencies.
I was thinking that some distortino might be caused because in stereo mode the left and right drivers play different sounds, and putting these channels together would force a single driver to play two frequrncirs at the same exact time, which isn't really possible, and you either end up with distortion or the average of the difference between the two frequencies.
Would this hold true is a true full range stereo signal were obtainable?
I understand that bass frequencies become non-directional as the frequency drops, but I think my question still stands. Sorry if you did indeed answer my question already :(
eclipsepaseo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Midbass is important because many don't take into consideration that when your subwoofers get to a certain SPL level your midrange can't compensate with the proper quality. In other words Your mids are likely to sound harsher on your ears if you have them even around the level of your woofers. This is in the case your woofers are in the 130 to 140 db range.

Eclipse CD8455
Crossfire VR2000D (3 Eclipse 34230's now)
3 Image Dynamics IDmax 12" v3 D4's
Polk MOMO components (6.5") (rears)
Polk Ex 4" (doors)
2 yellow tops (with tsunami battery toppers)
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
wha...?
what the hell are you saying?
wha...?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic