icon

Door poppers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeremyw_04 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to shave my doors this weekend and was wonderin if anybody has any info on where to put the door poppers (not solenoids) in the door of an 88-98 chevy truck.  any pics of any other installs would help. thanks
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Just the spring loaded popper? Anywhere you can fit it. I put mine at the bottom, towards the rear. I did the same truck and man all I can say to you is have fun!! That door is a bitch to work inside of. That little vent in the jamb is almost the only access you have unless you pull the window regulator and everything. Thats the only way the inside panel will come out and I don't suggest you do that b/c those things are dangerous to the fingers (snip). My first one took like 5 hours. Since then I have done like 10 cars and it never gets any better. I hate door poppers and refuse to do anymore.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
It should be a stopper of some sort already in the jamb. Just remove the stopper and place it there. I agree with Nik, installation is a bit**.  I did my first and last set a couple months ago. Alota cuts and frustration.
stuntjester1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
yea i got mine on the bottom where the old stopper is on my s-dime. they work great. just make sure you have the travel to open the door. that also a big one in placement.
jeremyw_04 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

I had to take the door apart to put them in and it still took me 2 days.  the first one took a day and a half to put in and the other went a lot faster. im gonna help my friend do his and i think that it will be much easier.  i drilled a hole above the latch and put the popper there and works great.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey you have some pics of it?????     If so post them up man.  Also did you shave the handles yourself if so how??? I'm really interested in learning how to weld that sheet metal on there, so i can start shaving handles and side molding and stuff.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey you have some pics of it?????     If so post them up man.  Also did you shave the handles yourself if so how??? I'm really interested in learning how to weld that sheet metal on there, so i can start shaving handles and side molding and stuff.  Anybody got any good websites on that stuff???
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Its pretty easy. Just cut a peice of steel to fit just inside the whole, weld it in, grind it smooth, wipe it with some rage, sand away.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I know the general idea of it. Just the whole welding thing I need to learn how. Im working on learning how to stick weld right now. I will learn mig once I get better at this.  Hey nik how do you shape the steel if you dont have all those shaping tool and stuff they use, english wheel, hammer and bag, etc??
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 31, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
On most handles there is no need for shaping. Body mud wil handle that. If its something that does need shaping, one way is just use a hammer. Or you can tack your piece in and use a slide hammer to shape it some. Most of the time just use Rage. You can go up to 1/4" thick or so and that will handle most of what you will run into.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic