icon

signs of heat, artic start not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
repmud 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

I installed an Articstart a few months ago in my 02 Cavalier, manual trans.  The trunk pop was not working so I decided to look at it.  While looking into to the trunk problem I noticed that the yellow wires, ignition I think, appeared to have heat marks on them.  There was white flaky stuff at the brain of the system inside the wiring harness clip that holds all the low gauge wires, ignition, power, etc...After I noticed that the reservation mode and remote starting function stopped working a few days later.  I can here the unit set reservation mode but when I turn the key off the motor turns off, instead of continuing to run like it is supposed to.   

Also, to get back to the trunk thing, the wire from the brain should read about -.160v, based on what the door lock wire and unlock wires are reading.  The trunk wire is spiking down to -5.1v.

Just to add some more info, everything was working perfectly for about 2 months, trunk, remote start, and reservation mode, so I know I hooked it up correctly.  The doors lock/unlock function currently works, but I don't believe the parking lights flash anymore.  Is this thing fried?

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
"There was white flaky stuff at the brain of the system inside the wiring harness..."
If there is excessive moisture in your car it can cause erratic problem with your starter unit and over time stop working.
"The trunk wire is spiking down to -5.1v."
I don't understand what you mean here. The truck release require a +12V for it to operate.
"The doors lock/unlock function currently works, but I don't believe the parking lights flash anymore."
Maybe the parking fuse on the starter unit is shorted out. Take a look and test it out. You should get +12V at the parking light wire on the starter unit when you press and the lock/unlock button.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.signs of heat, artic start not working -- posted image.
repmud 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

thepencil wrote:
"There was white flaky stuff at the brain of the system inside the wiring harness..."
If there is excessive moisture in your car it can cause erratic problem with your starter unit and over time stop working.

"The trunk wire is spiking down to -5.1v."

I don't understand what you mean here. The truck release require a +12V for it to operate.
"The doors lock/unlock function currently works, but I don't believe the parking lights flash anymore."
Maybe the parking fuse on the starter unit is shorted out. Take a look and test it out. You should get +12V at the parking light wire on the starter unit when you press and the lock/unlock button. 

Ahhh no!!!  I kind of treat the car like sh$t.  The moisture thing makes alot of sense, I get in all the time with loads of snow on my feet and sometimes forget to close the sunroof.  I alos mounted it right under the lower dash section.  Is there anything I can do to fix it and prevent it from happening?  Where is a better place to mount the brain?

As far as the -5.1v goes for the trunk, I meant the wire that comes from the brain going to the relay.  It seems supper high compared to the door unlock and lock wires comming form the brain, each read -.160v

As soon as I get time I will check the park light wire.  I am assuming it's not getting power because it is in the same connector as the ignition wires, it too has white flakey stuff on it.

Thanks for the help

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic