icon

Hi Quality connections.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rxtxau 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

For a good quality job, I don't think anyone will disagree with soldering or the use of good quality crimps with high quality ratchet crimping pliers.

Insulation if you have cut a wire can be heatshrink or even the heatshrink with a meltable inner wall like hot melt glue that waterproofs as well.

Does anyone use the "Liquid Tape" that forms a solid plastic insulation? 

If so what do you think about it?

What about self amalgamating tape?

What other resources for high quality jobs do you use?

Regards,

Brian.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Actually I whoe heartedly disagree with crimps on any type of high ampreage application. If you wanna use them for speaker wires then fine but using them for something Like RS ignition wires I think the are complete and uder garbage and would fire anyone on the spot for it if I managed a shop. As for the liquid tape I havent heard much good about it. Basically I stick to heat shrink and High quality electrical tape. Notice I said High Quality because poor electrical tape doesnt hold up over time and can unreavel. Using zip ties around taped connections never hurts either.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
I like that zip tie idea there Raven.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
SoundExplosion 
Copper - Posts: 48
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

I do use the liquid tape but I have only use it on boats. I Dont think that any car use would be good idea.

Sound Explosion

chrisAWD 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

i agree about the quality of tape....only 3m super 33 for me

MrSector9 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah personally I am not a fan of crimped connections,specially the crimped butt connecters, int the time it tkes to crimp those on so that they will hold well could easily splice and solder the wires.I do however crimp terminal rings/any other connection just enough to hold then solder it
I have used the liquid tape and do agree it is pretty decent on boats (much rather use heatshrink with the meltable inner)
3m tape also doesn't get hard and unmanagable in the cold weather :) need that in the great white north
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Actually I whoe heartedly disagree with crimps on any type of high ampreage application. If you wanna use them for speaker wires then fine but using them for something Like RS ignition wires I think the are complete and uder garbage and would fire anyone on the spot for it if I managed a shop. As for the liquid tape I havent heard much good about it. Basically I stick to heat shrink and High quality electrical tape. Notice I said High Quality because poor electrical tape doesnt hold up over time and can unreavel. Using zip ties around taped connections never hurts either.

I don't have a problem with good quality crimps.. with the understanding that the force exerted with the crimping tool is measured in _tons_.. like using a 8-10 ton crimping tool to make a splice. Not something you find in most shops.

I make battery cables using crimp on terminals.. the hand crimping tool looks like a big pair of bolt cutters. The small butt connectors we are all familiar with are utter trash, but there are decent setups out there to make acceptable crimped connections.

Jim

overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

Everything has a place......

I use crimp terminals religiously and I'm not afraid to say it, but not for high current applications. I spend 75% of my time on location around my state and the majority of that time Power isn't available for a soldering iron and a 12v sodlering iron takes too long to heat up when the truck driver wanted to leave 3 hours ago, butane soldering iron are too messy when working under the dash. So, yes I use crimps, I use my ratchet crimps and I use a high quality crimp made by Narva, I use bullet crimps at all times due to the surface area contact made available by them. I will not use butt connectors for joining two ends together, I don't know what they are called other then "hats" little clear crimps that you need to twist your wires together put the terminal on and then crimp, I'm quite happy to use these upto 5amps, the only thing I dont like about them is that they look untidy, but who leaves wiring expsoed anyway?

As for electrical tape? I hate the stuff, but unfortunatly it is a evil necessity, I don't use 3M, i use Nitto, it works wonders for me but I haven't tried the 3Mstuff I have never had a drama with Nitto unravelling.

Battery and Amp terminals I will use my heavt duty crimpers (the ones Mad Scientist was refering to) and then I will fill the terminal with solder using a 200 watt soldering iron if I'm at my bay.

The crimps I did like but are pretty expensive, looked like a butt connector but was actually heatshrink with a solder ring inside it, you needed to use a special butane torch for it that had a curved heat sheild that surrounded the terminal....it was FANTASTIC, but considering the torch was about 95 bucks and the terminals were about $45 for a box of 200, it was something that I could do with out.

rxtxau these are available through WES Components, Farnell, Jaycar and Electus, if you use Jaycar for stock try getting onto Electus as they are the distributors for Jaycar...nothing beats paying wholesale price eh?

Check all advice given with a meter

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic