icon

554R won't respond when remote started

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ExitVector 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

This is a complete shot in the dark, perhaps it's something someone has experienced?

The Valet 554R system has been fully installed for about 6 months and has been working without a hitch.  On a recent chilly night, when attempting to set the alarm, there was no response, with either the 2-way or 1-way remote.  I checked fuses, made sure the antenna was connected, and everything was fine.  I then tested the unit by entering the setup mode by using the valet button/key, and it worked!  So I gave up that night.

The next morning when I tried both remotes, I was able to arm and disarm the system just fine!  So I left it armed and remote started the vehicle to let it warm up while I went about my business.  When I was leaving and approaced the car, pressing the disarm button did nothing!  No response on the 2-way or from the car.  I then pressed the remote start buttons and it wouldn't stop the car and again no response.  It wasn't until the remote starter timed out was I able to disarm the system!!  And this has been the case ever since.  I'm at a complete loss.  I've checked all the connections and fuses.  The only other thing I thought to try was unhooking the negative and positive from the battery and letting the unit just sit over night.

Also, it's installed in a 1997 Chevy Cavalier.  Please help!!!

ken984 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Its hard to say it could be a lot of different things, if code hopping is turned on its possible that the remote is out of sync with the brain due to being pressed when its out of range, or its possible there is some interference on the FM band that is preventing the 2 way signal from reaching the brain. Also don't discount the easiest solution, new battery in the remote.
ExitVector 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks!  I tried the new battery right away in both remotes, and no change.  Also, according to the manual - the code-hopping is resynchronized by pressing a certain button repeatedly until the alarm chirps.  I tried this the first night when it wasn't working at all and it didn't work.  But come to think of it, I haven't tried it since.  I will have to try that later!  Thanks again!
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

have you installed any led or neon lights in close vicinity to the antenna, that was the problem with mine.

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
ExitVector 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
No, no lights or any other items that could cause interference.  The antenna module did become detached from the window and was left on the dashboard until I could get new tape.  I was suspecting perhaps it was damaged?  The alarm just recently started setting while the car is remote started.  I can arm/disarm and stop the RS when it's remote started now.  Perhaps it's something with the code-hopping?  Should this be shut off?
dare_ds69 
Silver - Posts: 419
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
no sometimes the 2 ways goes crazy the perfect solution is disconect the antena for 5 sec. and pluged back or remote started whit the one way remote next to the two way remote.
how own your mind, control your life.
MECP certified. always use a DMM

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic