icon

need advice on sub box.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I'm making a box with 2 10" subs, the piece of wood that i used as a seperator didnt totally get covered with the fiberglass because of the way it stretched and i didnt want a funny looking hump in the middle...the total gap is probly about 5" x 1.5" (its not a square shape so thats roughly the gap size) how much will this effect my setup.  I'm thinking if i run stereo, each sub will interfere with the others air space, but if i run mono than they are both moving the in the same airspace and this small of a gap wont effect anything?  ive seen dual sub, ported boxes that have a baffle in between that doesnt completely seperate the 2 subs...so i really dont know what to think.  should i fill in the gap with kitty hair or just leave it?
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
i never put a seperater between two subs unless i run more than one amp to the subs.  if there is one amp on each sub then a divider is needed.  if you are just running one amp to the two of them, it is fine.
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
If your using one amp it won't make any differance, But with the gap, your seperator is useless. It sounds like the gap isn't so small as to cause any "port noise" or wistling inside the box. I'm not sure if that would happen anyway as I have never delt with it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

Great, thanks guys.  the gap isnt so small to cause port noise cause if i push on one sub fairly quickly the other sub moves in and out, but i dont hear any funny noises.  So any box that has a seperator in it that doesnt totally seal and seperate the 2 boxes is useless? 

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
The box isn't useless, just the seperator. It doesn't seperate anything.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
stuntjester1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
yea it will not effect if you run them mono, you can aways try to lay some glass side the box to fill if you want to.
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
allright..thanks guys.  today i planned out a y trunk..got the floor leveled off and got my first amp mount setup.  The box i'm doing now with the 2 subs is going in the back (just clears the 6x9's) and the other 2 boxes are going to be on the sides of the car with the amps mounted between the single box and the big box in the back.  the boxes will be painted mettalic green and the amp cover will be covered in a black suede as well as the floor.  the neons will be activated by a switch when the trunk is opened.  I cant get pics right now, but hopefully i can get them before the trunk is finished (which should happen since i cant afford materials for a little while)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic