icon

2000 dodge dakota, fog lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kellyjscott1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all sorry to drone up fog light questions but the fog light kit i got came with 2 fog lights 2 relays and a toggle switch, what i would like is for someone to explain step by step how to connect it all together so they will go on and off when i turn my headlight switch on and off and also go off when i click the switch for the high beams, i know one relay has to be mounted in the engine compartment and the other under the dash, but as to how it is all done i'm alittle confused, i've started by splicing a wire from my headlight switch and i've also ran a wire through my fire wall, but to hook what wires up to what numbers on the relay is puzzling to me, i tried to hook them up myself with info from the relay forum but was unsuccessful. could someone please help me in my quest.
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

I would install both relays in the engine compartment.  With the diagram below, you don't need the toggle switch, just splice or tap into the Lo Beam and High Beam wires to switch the relays to turn the fog lights on and off.

2000 dodge dakota, fog lights -- posted image.

kellyjscott1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanxs for the replay Hotup32 i will try it and see what happens
kellyjscott1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanxs for the replay Hoptup32 i will try it and see what happens.
kellyjscott1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanxs for the reply Hoptup32 i will try it and see what happens.
kellyjscott1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
sorry mang i goofed on the buttons!
kellyjscott1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, can anyone advise me as to what to do? i am trying to hook up a set of fog lights on my 2000 dodge dakota, i bought a fog light kit that came with 2 rectangular fog lights a bunch of wiring 1 30amp bosch relays and a fused power wire, so far i have mounted the fog's where i want them and i have grounded the 2 black ground wires from both fog's to my inner front bumper bracket, leaving both the positive wires open for a connection, next i have mounted the relay to the inner fender wall grounding it with the supplied wire from the fender to the relay, next i tapped into the main fuse box in the engine compartment and installed a fused power wire from the positive battery terminal to the relay, then i connected the positive fog light wires to the relay as well, i hooked up everything as followed: pin #30 fused power wire, pin #85 negative wire to the fender, pin #86 open, pin #87 to fog lights. i am not sure from here as to what to do when i finshed hooking everthing up? i got no operation from the fogs, can anyone advise me as to what to do next or correct me as to how the instalation should go? what i would like is that the fogs will go on when i start my truck and turn off when i turn off my truck, i would also like them to cut out when the high beams are on as well, i  prolly need to tapp into the light switch wires for that ,and i might even need another relay, anyhoo if anyone could please advise me it would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the long post
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

If you want the fog lights to just come on when you switch on the ignition switch and go off when the ignition switch is off, then forget using the relay and just run the fused power line from a switched ignition source straight to the fog lights positive wires.

The only drawback to having the fog lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on, is the lights will be using current that the starter will want upon initial startup. Not a big problem if you have a strong battery.

You can use one relay wired as shown in the diagram below to have the fog lights come on when the ignition source(switch) is on and go off when the switch is turned off. By tapping into the wire going to one of the high beam lights and connecting it to terminal 86, when you turn on the high beams the relay will activate and turn the fog lights off.  (Terminal 87 is not used in this application)

2000 dodge dakota, fog lights -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic