icon

New Subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for a subwoofer. A 12" (round) sub that can be wired to put 2 ohms on the amp (either single 2-ohm coil or dual 4-ohm), and can handle 550+ watts RMS. I want something that will sound good first, then get loud occasionally if I want it to (550 watts RMS is a lot....haha). The amplifier is an Alpine MRD-M501, and it'll be in a sealed, down-firing box with just under a cubic foot airspace in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.....
I had an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D, but that sub just couldn't handle the power. Any other suggestions?? I was looking at the 2005 Alpine Type-R, but it was delayed getting to market, and I'm getting impatient, plus I keep thinking there may be a better sub out there....
Oh yeah, important thing....price range.....below $200, below $150 would be good, and I'm willing to buy off of other sites or e-bay (if it's new)
Thanks Guys!!
-Drew
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
ever hear of cadence? they make a single 2 ohm. you can get the BEAST for under $200. WILD BEAST is a little more $. i prefer cadence but "to each his own".
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Try looking at the Image Dynamics IDQ12D4 V.2 or the single voice coil models for your application. Great SQ, good SPL, and work good in small sealed enclosures. They should be somewhere in your price range also.
Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
That iamge dynamics sub says 350 watts RMS....which is the same thing the infinity said that I blew...
I'll have to look into that cadence some more...
Also, anyone have an objective opinion on the Polk MM2124DVC??
Thanks Again!
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
Are you sure you have the gains set properly? Maybe that is the reason you blew your sub, not from overpowering it. Before you buy another sub, I would make sure you understand how to set your amp gains correctly, or else you will likely be down the same path again in the near future (i.e. another blown sub on your hands)...
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
The Image sub WILL BE perfect......
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think 550 watts would have blown your Kappa Perfect. Right now I'm running a Pioneer rated for 150RMS off of my MRD-M1001 at 1000 watts. No Problems at all.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
the gain was set at 0 (it's digital setup, so the options are 0, +3, +6, and +9)...
I've heard that the perfect shouldn't have blown, but it shure did. The first one the spider disconnected from the coil, the second one one of the coils actually fried (you could smell it, and it smoked when I pulled it from the box
), and the spider seperated....
So any advice??
I'll look into the image dynamics again.....any other suggestions?? I'm really trying to get away from the mainstream brands now, since they tend to be pricy...
Thanks Guys
-Drew
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

If the hu was driving into its clipping point or you had your bass cranked up to far the sub would distort causing your sub to blow. Thats my 2 cents.

Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the subwoofer volume setting on the HU (Alpine CDA-9807) never went over 8 (max 15), and the master volume on the HU was never over 22 (max 35), which isn't that loud for the alpine. Above that, the internal amp starts clipping really bad, and sounds like ****
I know distortion. I've been doing sound for live programs for years now. The amp wasn't working very hard, and the sound wasn't distorted.
Anyway...enough about the old sub. Any other suggestions besides the Cadence and Image Dynamics?? I want the SQ to be close to, if not better than, the SQ of the perfect.
I may be looking for a sub that dosen't exist.
Thanks again
-Drew
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic