icon

Freaking Alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well Alterstart said the alternator was fine but went ahead and replaced the voltage regulator just incase. So this would be putting the problem on my mechanic, which followed the directions they supplied. I'm considering just doing the switch myself this time and only hooking up the cable they sent. The only problem is, how would I test the voltage it is putting out. If anyone can help me in getting this problem fixed, that'd be great. Its eating money and holding the project up.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
If you really want to make sure it's OK, I suggest taking your car to a Chevy dealership and having their shop check the alternator and install it.  Ask for a warranty on thier work, and tell them to make sure all the factory electronics work properly after the install.  It'll cost you more to take the car to an dealership's shop, but just like any other factory authorized retailer the factory is more likely to behind their work.
Support the12volt.com
97Pathy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2005 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
You could also bring it to an alternator repair shop and ask them to bench test it.........if the output isnt' what its suposed to be in voltage and amperage, , stick it to alterstart and get a real alternator from mechman.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
I was gonna have the G/F's mom's store test it(I trust they would tell me if they didn't know how to accurately do it.) As for an alternator repair shop, apparently there is one locally that will even custom wind alternators. (BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP) Wish I knew before, i'd rather have like a 300a anyways. *sigh* Anyways. We'll see when I get it back. I didn't think dealerships would put aftermarket in cars.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

You can test the voltage output of the alternator by using a volt meter connected between the terminals of your battery with the car running. I had alternator problems a few months ago when my ex mechanic cutt the wire harness to my alternator and switched the wires. The alternator spiked out everytime and burnt itself up.

Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Ok update...

I got it back whenever (Thursday I believe.). I ran it to a Napa Autoparts store for testing, failed on a bad regulator supposedly. Drove around Eastern Cincy trying to find a HO experienced location, natta. Tested it at an Advanced Auto store and they pulled out like 15 volts fine, not even hard. So I come back to Lebanon thinking YAY and they test it here. Nothing good, under 5 volts. But I also question if that guy knew what he was doing. So I went to Chevy dealership, and man, $91 bucks for the remove/install and that's expensive. So I don't wanna put it back in and fry my battery... I DID hear about a place in Dayton that the guy has experience so I was considering that Friday, but couldn't easily reeach. Now I'm considering another look at the rest of Cincy for maybe a shop that can help.

I also apparently have misplaced (AKA someone f'ing threw my paper away) the phone number for this other guy.

EDIT: Also, I was wondering, maybe the ground wire is the guy causing all this annoyance? If the alt tested right somehow, and the company is claiming it is fine, could it simply need like a 2g ground wire? Has a 4g power.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
So you're saying you didn't upgrade the ground wire to the same size as the power wire? That sounds rather short-sighted to me...not intending to demean you in any way, of course Freaking Alternator -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

Ok another update...

No one ever said anything about upgrading the ground since I read it is usually 4g on most vehicles already so I thought I'd be fine. Now I went to a local shop(I didn't know about this place and I don't know why the g/f's mom didn't mention it BEFORE) but they said to bring it back this afternoon and they'd do what they could to help me. Woohoo, no "wtf" looks this time. They are supposedly REALLY good electrical guys(like $85/hr good). Ontop of that they may give me a shot to work there apprentice/internship style for no pay. (Which is fine for me right now having no skills or experience and I value the learning. Plus no rent so education can be accomplished is great. And since I work nights, score. Lets hope I can get it.) But the guy there said that the mount works as the ground usually and well, this guy really knew what the hell we was talking about. (Trust me, he knew. The guy teaches 6 mos/year to the county guys and such.) So we'll see, atleast its finally getting somewhere. So tired of this. Really hope I can get on there, this will teach me a nice spectrum at a high quality level. I'm happy, I just hope this isn't an 0/2 shot here. I would like to ATLEAST accomplish one of these. The job or the alternator would make the day. Both might kill me, but I'll survive. :)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic