icon

Blowing Fuses?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spittin2rock 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1989 Honda Civic that I use for my gas saver.  I have put a lot of work into this vehicle for it to have a nice cosmetic look to it.  Interior and exterior both is to my sastifactory level.  Now I'm just having a little eletrical problem.  One day I was driving home and all of a sudden my dashlights went out.  Pull on the side of the road to see if my tail lights were out also.  Tail lights and dashlights are out so the first thing I do is to check for blow fuse.  Fuse was blown so when I tried to replace it with a good fuse it blew that one before I can even turn the lights back on.  So I tried upgrading the amperage of the fuse from 10amps (factory spec.) to all the way to 30 amps and it blew that one also.  I have glowing foot pedals for the clutch, brake, and gas pedals that I hooked to my low beam fuse.  I even removed that and I still got the same result.  I even made a "blow-proof" fuse and then when I stuck that in smoke came from my harness and I saw a wire melting.   Can anyone help me?  What can be causing these fuses to blow.  I know it's a possiblity that wires can be crossed somewhere but where should I begin to search for the problem?  Help would be greatly appreciated.
spittin2rock 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah I also did the "Stereo stays on until door opens relay project."  The wouldn't have affect would it?
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you've got a short somewhere between the fuses and the lights.
Paul
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Upgrading a fuse that keeps blowing is not a bright idea. You are asking for a nice little dash fire by doing so. I agree that you most likley have a short somewhere. Check the wiring that you added first as it is more likely there than in the factory wiring. Maybe even remove all the add-ons just to narrow things down.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I'd start checking at the switch, since the fuse blew even with the lights off.  I'd check the switch for proper operation first.  Assuming your switch is working properly, you have a short to ground between the switch and the fuse block.  It maybe a pinched wire somewhere, or something simple like that.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
KDragon 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would look at the melting wire, see where it leads.
If the amp is on fire you did somthing wrong!
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  

check the location of where you spliced into the low beam power.

Further note: This is obviously a short, no offence but I think you need to let professionals work on your car for further modifications of this kind. A person with an amount of knowledge able to copmlete this kind of work competently would be able to recognize the problem in a bat of an eyelid. I hope that you have done no further damage to your car. Like I said please take no offence, but what happened could esily of endangered yours and or passengers life. A car fire whilst flying down the highway of a night time is no fun for anyone, let alone the occupants of the car. I suggest taking your car to a professional to rectify the fault and doing some more research on automotive electronics before commencing any further work.

Yours sincerely Raymond Wilkinson-Reed.

Check all advice given with a meter
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you probably hooked up too much sh*t wired up, and shorted something...
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
i agree with KD, follow the melting wire and it is probably shorted somewhere. if it runs to a switch then the switch is probably bad. if its a wire you tapped into for acc then unplug the acc.
83malibuRida 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

spittin2rock wrote:
I have a 1989 Honda Civic that I use for my gas saver.  I have put a lot of work into this vehicle for it to have a nice cosmetic look to it.  Interior and exterior both is to my sastifactory level.  Now I'm just having a little eletrical problem.  One day I was driving home and all of a sudden my dashlights went out.  Pull on the side of the road to see if my tail lights were out also.  Tail lights and dashlights are out so the first thing I do is to check for blow fuse.  Fuse was blown so when I tried to replace it with a good fuse it blew that one before I can even turn the lights back on.  So I tried upgrading the amperage of the fuse from 10amps (factory spec.) to all the way to 30 amps and it blew that one also.  .

I currently have  EXACTLY the same problem with my 83malibu, the  part that I dont understand is when I arm or disarm my alarm (dei rattler) all the park lights including dash  and tail still flash. is there any way that someone could draw a simple schematic showing how this is possible? I got a ticket already for no tail lights and its dangerous. limited to driving in the day time. 

Nick Scott
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic