icon

Subwoofer Choice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna throw in the Cerwin Vega card hereSubwoofer Choice - Page 2 -- posted image.
A Cerwin Vega HED-12 12in sub would be a good choice here:
http://www.epinions.com/Cerwin_Vega_HED_12SVC_626377/display_~reviews
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
What? Did you look at the power he plans to push this sub with? CV is a bad choice here.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go eclipse.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
I did go with the Eclipse...... do it, do it......
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Sancho 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
thank you guys i will go with the eclipse than. Can they handle so much power ??? and one more if listen to the house music or dance music which sub from those you pick up??? (just curious)
Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
Amp:JBL 80.4
Amp:JBL 1200.1
Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Same answer.
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Shouldn't Sancho be looking for single 4 ohm speakers to achieve the desired 2 ohm set up?
LivnLouder by the paycheck
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
What? Did you look at the power he plans to push this sub with? CV is a bad choice here.
Nope Subwoofer Choice - Page 2 -- posted image. .
I think this person is obviously starting on the wrong foot then. You should Never base your choice of subwoofers on its power handling capability.
You should know this as you are one of the resident experts. If measured on a common scale, a sub from different manufacture's, one capable of handling 500w RMS with a sensitivity of 87dB @ 1w/1m @ 2.83v, and the other capable of handling 250w RMS with a sensitivity of 91db @ 1w/1m @ 2.83v . They should have relatively the same acoustical output when placed in properly sized enclosures, in theory of course, but you get the idea.
So I stick by my CV suggestion :)
kfr01 
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq:   I 100% agree with you --- if I wasn't sure this guy wasn't going to abuse the power he has.  But, people don't buy 1500w amplifiers and insist they run at 2-ohms if they plan on operating their volume knobs with responsibility.  This guy is likely wanting to hammer on his system.  I think CV is a bad choice because he'd harm it the first time he'd severely clip his powerful amplifier. 

You hit the nail on the head for intelligent system planning and folks that aren't going to fly off the handle with the volume knob.  Somehow I doubt that's what we are dealing with here.

So, IF this guy decides to get a more appropriate amplifier AND decides to set his gain correctly AND decides to operate the volume knob based on his gain setting process THEN I totally give your suggestion a hearty nod - it would be a great way to get a similar amount of output from a cheaper driver.  I base this nod only on output levels - I have no experience with CV sound or distortion levels. 

Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, I didn't realize that he had a 1500w ampSubwoofer Choice - Page 2 -- posted image. .
In that case I'm going to recommend a Cerwin Vega 12in, 15in or 18in Stroker. They'll easily handle the power and you'll be ready for some light competition dutySubwoofer Choice - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic