icon

replacing bose system 97 cadillac deville

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shingon 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
lot of people had ask this same question over and over again, but there seems to be not straigth answer, i want to replace my whole system on my 97 cadillac deville, i don't want to use any of the stock equipment,( amp, speakers radio, etc.) here is what i have hear about this car you have to relocate the stock radio other wise car can not operate properly due to stereo being hook to computer, not really about sure this!. others tell me there is a special cable a guess is a data retention cable or harness, i for sure i need this  but not sure what really it is? also you have to run completly new wires to the whole system, from the rear where the stock amp is, also have 2 to run new  wires to speakers, any one with additional information or things i migth need to be done please replay to this post, again i don't want to use any of the original equipment, the complete system is going to be aftermarket.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

Look carefully at the thread started by Dyohn that said Just for Rob - the Bose FAQ. Be very careful with that system is what it comes down to. My book shows that no data retention or head unit relocation harness is necessary, a Scosche GM03 and GM1584 and MDA1 will be necessary for the head unit install. www.scosche.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

In a 97, you won't need the data retention harness. However, these are quite a bit of work for an install. Not really complicated, just time consuming. Take your time.

First, you will need the harness and antenna extension Rob has listed, when you pull the factory HU out, you will notice it is very thin, reason being, it is more/less a remote unit, the brain for it is in the trunk, on the passenger side, under the carpet, towards the back. You will need to connect your harness/antenna extension here, and run it to the HU location.

Second, you will need to pull new wires to the doors and rears. Without  the factory HU, the amplifiers aren't of use, and without hacking wire harnesses to jump speaker wires, this is really your only other option. It really isn't that bad, just get you a "fish tape" or straighten a coat hanger, take the door and kick panels off, and fish it through, there is alot of room in those boots, so it slips through easily. Tape your wires to an end, and pull back through.

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
you dont need to run new wires to the speakers, you can still use the bose amps (located on the speakers themselves). You will by-pass the tuner pack in the trunk. I use the XR4 from Soundgate to integrate with the Bose amps. And just get the twenty pin harness from metra or Scoshe. This will plug in to the harnesses that were plugged into the tuner pack. This is also a common ground front and rear system, so some mods will have to be done the the 20 pin harness, no big deal. As for relocating the H/U. i would, that car is a class 2 data bus vehicle. Just run speaker wires and amp turn on to the tuner pack and you are good to go.
Jazzy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic