icon

is this right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, i should have known to do a search, but thank u.  I'll try to find something else than, probly with a 100W RMS and 400W peak like i am running now(should be a bit cheaper too than and allow me to get a better quality sub).

I didnt see anything stating if underpowering a sub with no clipping sounds the same as a sub with approx the same RMS as the amp set at the same gain.  But i did learn something very important....not to let the smoke out of my subs or they wont work anymoreis this right? - Page 2 -- posted image. I think i'll try to make something that can put the smoke back in the electronics and then sell it on ebay...

I know that amplifier ratings vary on the quality of the amp...but is that the same with subs?  will a cheapo pioneer actually have the proper RMS rating on it and still handle the power the same as say a rockford, even though the sound quality it a billion times better with the rockford? ( i have a feeling that the answer is no though and the cheaper sub will most likely fry quicker)  can anyone suggest an inbetweener sub that sounds quite good for the price and can do me over for quite awhile without feeling the need to upgrade? (MTX is supposed to be good)

alpine7995 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
JL audio W1's or a Infinity are some good subs for the price.
2003 Chevy surburban
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

placid warrior wrote:
( i have a feeling that the answer is no though and the cheaper sub will most likely fry quicker)

Unless the speaker has some dramatic flaw, you can run a cheap speaker as long as you can run a high-end speaker...if you always keep the power well below the RMS of the sub.  It's when you push the limits of the operating range that bad things can happen, and that's where the better speakers will often tolerate abuses a little better because of their build quality.  Here's a rating you see often with replacement-type coaxial speakers:  "power handling 2 - 60 watts RMS" ;  this example is to show that a speaker of any size will operate at a very wide power range UP TO the RMS.

placid warrior wrote:
I didnt see anything stating if underpowering a sub with no clipping sounds the same as a sub with approx the same RMS as the amp set at the same gain.

Let's just say that both amps in question have gains correctly set...if you can subtract out the difference in actual 'sound' from one subwoofer to another, then yes, one will be equal to the other in that scenario. 

placid warrior wrote:
I'm kinda looking towards Premier subs (i will need 4, with 2 being inverted).  at 110.00 is there a better brand or would ther pretty much stay the same across that price range? this sub is 350W RMS and 800W peak...should i be looking for something with a closer rating to what the amp puts out (would this be underpowering the sub?)

You started out this thread with two subs and the MTX 4250D amp, but now you are saying you are looking for 4 subs.  Are you still referring to the same one amp?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the replies stevdart.  which of the 3 brands or the most show looking alpine7995?

The reason i say 4 subs is cause i will be getting another amp (exact same) and will be running the 2 other subs off of it.  The box i have now (holds 2 subs with a divider...and i did seal the divider totally now) is a sealed box, but i was thinking of making the other 2 boxes ported for more of a boomy bass.  the 2 boxes are smaller because of the location and i am positive that the airspace will be way to small with the sub in and not much better with it inverted (i suppose using a pile of sound damping material would work to make the box seem bigger to the sub?) which is also why i was thinking of porting. The boxes for these subs are in progress...all i have to do is caulk the joints and place the rings, then if i port or not i will fleece over it, at the moment i cant afford to glass these boxes so i have a bit of time to figgure things out before i feece.

I know there is a problem when running 2 different size subs...is there going to be the same problem if i have the 2 different enclosure types?

thanks again for your replies guys.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic