icon

will factory wire be ok to use

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1cam man 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
i was going to run new speaker wire for the 6 1/2 in the front door,but i need to know if the factory wiring would be ok to use instead of running new wire.i am using a kicker kx350.2 which is 70rms X 2.if the factory wiring will be ok to use then it will save me a couple of hours of time.
thanks again
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
i would run new wire. preferably 14ga.
i like to run my own wire on anything thats pushing more then 50 watts....
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
I agree. Why go to all the effort to upgrade the system from factory to aftermarket then leave in the weakest link - the factory wiring. My installer wanted to use my factory wires for my front door speakers but I insisted that he run new wires. I'm very glad that I did. I recommend you do the same.
Mike
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
Don't waste your time... Here is a link that'll show you there will be NO appreciable difference between the two. Go ahead and use the factory wires, save yourself the effort! That #16 will be FINE!
I plugged in the numbers for 420 watts (SIX TIMES more power than you are using), 30 feet of #16 (probably TWICE your distance), 4 ohms, and came up with .51dB loss... You gonna hear that? Didn't think so. Just to answer that for you... No, you will not hear that loss...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Nice site. I just question the program because you can enter any number for "wire gage". For example, enter 124.56 (which is not an American Wire Gage (AWG)) and you will get an answer. Is it a "correct" answer? I don't know but it shouldn't give one at all in my opinion if the wire gage is bogus.
IMO
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic