icon

bonding abs to fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished glassing my trunk..but I want to reinforce where the fiberglass touches the abs around the edge around the hatch, then i'm going to put my weatherstriping back on.

I am going to Lowes tomorrow, and I was wondering what was out there to bond fiberglass to abs. Gorrilaglue?.. superglue? lol.. I have no idea.

I heard someone used platic weld?.. does lowes carry it?.. is it good?.

I was going to use bondo, but I heard bondo really wouldn't work for me.

What should I use?.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Bondo won't do it. The best thing to use is resin. Drill small holes in the plastic all the way around so the resin will seep through and get a good grip. Put the holes about 1" apart give or take based on your application. After doing this, the enclosure will most likly never come out so I hope you made a way to gain access to your taillights or anything else that may be back there.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
Bondo won't do it. The best thing to use is resin. Drill small holes in the plastic all the way around so the resin will seep through and get a good grip. Put the holes about 1" apart give or take based on your application. After doing this, the enclosure will most likly never come out so I hope you made a way to gain access to your taillights or anything else that may be back there.

well I can't just drill into the plastic, because I already layed 3 layers of fiberglass over it. Can I drill into the fiberglass.. all the way through to the plasic?. I just thought it would have been alittle easier to apply to some type of adhesive instead.

I never plan on taking the enclosure out, and nope.. nothing back there :)

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I see no reason not to drill all thw way through the fiberglass. Might even end up being stronger.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
John64 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds like an awesome idea. Better then glueing. The resin will harden and make one solid piece.
erickbkny28 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
I think your best option is plastic weld. Resin doesn't stick very well to abs, and even drilling hole in the plastic may not work. 3M has a plastic weld called Duramix 40/40, is't what I use and I'll never use anything else to bond abs to fiberglass resin.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the replies guys.

I went to Lowes, and I found a product made by "loctite", and it's called "plastic epoxy". It said it bonds fiberglass to pvc, hard plastic, and abs. So I figured what the heck and bought it.  It has 2 seperate tubes.. harderer, and resin I assume. You squeeze it onto something thats flat.. mix it with a stick.. used it where the edge of the fiberglass/resin ends on the abs. And 24 hrs later.. its bonded!.

Good stuff!!!.

My box is almost done.. padding layed.. and the vinyl will be arriving within the next few days. I'll post pics when it's done! :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic