icon

JVC Head Unit sound quality

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dasmodul 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
I've been thinking about the below deck. It has 5volt pre-amp so I assume it should have decent sound quality. Never have had JVC decks before. Any opinions on their SQ and overall quality? I'm usually a big fan of high end Alpine and Clarion decks. This one sounds great due to it's added DVD MP3 capability for convenience. Thanks!
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QXFLnZAfy9i/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62700&I=257KDAVX1
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
i am a big fan of JVC. they are user friendly and cost friendly too. my JVC sounds great and has yet to skip.
mcoupe2000 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
I am considering the same deck but I can't find much information on it. I am wondering how the navigation works. I talked to a local installer here in town and he tried to persuade me to go Alpine instead. But I like the JVC DVD capabilities... Let me know if you find out anything else about it.
homer1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

To mcoupe2000 -  That unit doesn't have or is a navigation unit. AM/FM/DVD/CD player with a 3" screen for video or backup camera. Still waiting to get our first batch in stock.

The ARSENAL series from JVC is their step-up line, 2 yr. warranty, better feature sets...  JVC has come out swinging this year to get in the game of higher quality car audio.(At least the head units... haven't heard the new speakers or amps yet). Most of the '05 stuff is just starting to show up...

Experience gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed - break it & learn!
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
i'm gonna be the instagator (spelling) on this one.
i have actually had a jvc deck. didnt like it at all. the thing skipped like mad crazy, ESPECIALLY in the winter time when it was cold. and i know most decks dont skip THAT much in the cold. if your going for looks..cool. but i dont think that'll get you far for sound though. go buy an ecplise deck. they sound very nice and you dont have to worry about thefts.
xTimx
mcoupe2000 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought the JCV KD-AVX1. I have not installed it yet because I am still trying to decide. But I figured I needed to see the JVC and compare it against the Alpine. The JVC has a cool look! The screen is nice and the circular navigation buttons are very easy to use. I have yet to install it but as far as design goes this is a winner.JVC Head Unit sound quality -- posted image.
gladbach 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I can't speak to this unit, esp as its higher end, but in my experience jvc is a pretty crappy headunit. nothing worse than having to reset the thing every few weeks or so with the power and select button because it crashes on you and won't give you your cd back.   and that is a VERY common problem with them, over years and years.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I really dont see the point in buying that JVC, you can get a Eclipse 8454, Pioneer 960 or a Alpine 9855 for around the same price, and all of those have better sound quality and are much more reliable.
projectprotege 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know why you guys had problems with JVC but mine has awsome SQ and looks great...ive owned JVC headunits for like 5 years now, and i have yet to have any problems with them....maybe your guys' problem is user error?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

well to play devil's advocate here... the same unit (make and model) may experience a plethora of problems at -40C ( basic Canadian January) that someone living in Florida or California will never experience..... thats why you may get differing opinions on the same HU... I had a Nak unit once that worked great all spring, summer & fall and was an absolute POS in the winter.... the operating temperature parameters were -15C to +40C... we hit -15C in November here!!

I am the warranty service center for over a dozen different car audio brands and overall i'd say the current JVC lineup is as reliable as any of the others, more so than some.....and sounds as good as other units within it's relative price range ( dont compare it to an Eclipse or Nak, as that would be apples to oranges)

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic