alpine amp Q

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
just a quick Q here.
would the alpine amp model MRD-M301 run good with 2 dual 6 ohm MA audio subs 12D6 800 watts?
now thats just a simple Q, i dont want you guys to be saying i should go out and buy diff subs and stuff cause i know what you guys would say! all i want to know is that if it will run them good or not. the amp is a mono amp, but it states on alpines website it can only do 2ohm mono. but its class D. so can it DO 1 ohm mono!? i was planning on wiring the subs up into parallel/parallel (spelling) to give me 1.5 ohms to the amp.
thanx everyone, and dont be telling me what to buy and dont buy either. i hate that!
xTimx
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
No, that amp will not run at 1ohm. I don't know if your asking whether it will put out 800 watts or stating that the speakers are rated for that but no it won't. Also, we recommend products to people so that the uninformed don't get stuck with crap like MA audio.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
HEY you listen to me buddy lol, my subs are perfectly fine and they pour they're heart out when i wanna play them loud. i have had these for a good 2 yrs and they havent failed me yet. so you can not tell me that the MA audio subs are crap.
xTimx
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Im not promoteing that you should do this, but i have lots of personal experience with the mrd-m500 running it down to 1.3 ohm, there was the odd occurence where the amp went into protect mode because of the overcurrent protection.  It never got hot or anything. The over current problem was solved by raising the sub sonic filter to about 25 hz so the low power hungry bass notes would not try to get amplified. I have never ever seen a burnt out MRD series amp, there is just too many protection circuits.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard that these amps will shut down well before allowing you to do any damage to them. The only one I have ever owned is my current MRD-M1001 and I have not attempted anything like this with it. If you don't already have the amp it's a much better idea to get an amp designed for what you want to do with it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I can vouch for the amps. I've got an MRD-M501, and when it was playing my busted sub (about 1 ohm impedence), it worked alright, other than getting a little hot.
-Drew
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

One person's crap is another person's symphony... if you like the sound, go for it.

Alpine rates the amp down to 2-ohms.  I cannot recomend you use it at anything less than 2-ohms.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I cannot recomend doing it,................................................................... but I would
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic