icon

What is a Farad?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
83malibuRida 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
in terms of being a unit of energy? like watt or joule(sc)
Nick Scott
chrisne77 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
The unit of capacitance equal to the capacitance of a capacitor between whose plates there appears a potential of one volt when it is charged by one coulomb of electricity.
83malibuRida 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
laymens term please, how can one determine how many farad caps would be needed to equal the current draw from the amps.
Nick Scott
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Thats easy. NONE!
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
chrisne77 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
I have never used a cap in a system. I understand what a cap's purpose is. It makes more sense to me to upgrade the alternator and maybe add an extra battery. I know that this is more expensive, but I think that is the ultimate solution.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, it's purpose is to waste $$$, like Alterstart(end rip). And caps aren't any cheaper if you think of the effects. Imagine the more its gonna strain your alternate, thus killing it faster. A replacement will make up for the difference and anyone who knows a thing about audio will laugh at you because you're gonna be buying another one eventually. Just get the alt upfront, just stay the hell away from Alterstart. LOCAL=GOOD. PROFESSIONAL=GOOD. Trust me, its worth it.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Master Asylum wrote:
Yeah, it's purpose is to waste $$$, like Alterstart(end rip). And caps aren't any cheaper if you think of the effects. Imagine the more its gonna strain your alternate, thus killing it faster. A replacement will make up for the difference and anyone who knows a thing about audio will laugh at you because you're gonna be buying another one eventually. Just get the alt upfront, just stay the hell away from Alterstart. LOCAL=GOOD. PROFESSIONAL=GOOD. Trust me, its worth it.

How's the cap going to strain the alternator more?..

Jim

thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Something has to charge the cap.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

How much power is it going to take to charge a cap?.. besides, once it's charged there's no more demand on the charging system from the cap. I imagine that running the high beams will draw more power from the alternator..

Jim 

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

Of course this is probably not going to happen, I'm simply playing devil's advocate.  Let's imagine your cap depleting itself completely (in theory) on a heavy bass note.  Now, with a completely discharged cap, you've effectively shorted the alternator output to ground!  (That's why you charge caps with a test light in series- so it's not a direct short to begin with.)  Yes, your fuse should pop or circuit breaker open, but if only for an instant at a time, those heavy spikes will destroy an alternator quickly.  With the absence of a cap, this would not happen- you'd simply have appreciable voltage drops if the alternator was not up to par.

In reality, you'll probably never fully discharge a cap on a heavy beat, or you've proven yourself a complete moron by severely overloading the car's electrical system. 

On a side note- I have a cap in my setup, which I feel does it's intended purpose- supply a steadier voltage to my equipment, and it's not leaving any time soon.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic