icon

New Technologies

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I read that Ipod is the big craze and satelite radio is the big craze. Somehow I don't see the "big craze" being either of these. Ok they've sold some good numbers but I don't think it's justified to call them a "big craze". I wanted to know what you guys thought about whats out there and what new stuff you think companies should develop...
What new deveolpments in mobile video; security; or audio do you guys want to see in the next 5 years?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Well, being that apple did 75 percent over their expected sales this last quater, just about solely because of the Ipod, I would say that Ipod is a huge craze right now. Also anytime companies start making interfaces to work with ANOTHER COMPANIES technology ie alpine and pioneer making ipod interfaces, that also should tell you what kinda impact that product is having and what companies figure the life of the product will be. I work in a store that sells Ipods and we get weekly shippments of 15-20 of these units weekly and we sell through them just about every time. Its damn rediculous. Personally I would like to see a regression in style when it comes to Audio gear. Amps for example, less chrome, less lights, more preformance. MTX took a step towards that last year with their MXA line but then turned around and went back to the masses with the damn color changing lights this year. Look at RF every year their amps get flashier but they have been becoming less dependable every year it seems. Audiobahn, well I am not even gonna go there. As for head units, I deespise MP3, always have however I think it was a nessasry advancement in the industry. I think we are gonna see more direct interfaces for things like Ipods and other media players, I also think we are gonna be seeing more and more screens built into heads in the comming years. Mobile video is gonna continue on the trend of all in ones with memory stick inputs i think, but hopefuly they make some advances in the headphone and fm mod technology to improve sound quality. As for security I fully expect that within the next 5 years there is gonna be a industy craze that lets your alarm dial your cell phone to let you know when its going off and probally have a reciever in it so it can start your car and what not just by dialing a number. Theirs my crystal ball for ya
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about the interfacing technologies when I started this thread. I really don't think the ipod fad is going to go on much longer. So creating new ways to use it might not be worth the trouble. But hey thats my opinion I may be wrong.
The connection between auto-security and phone however, is something that may have a future. I'm thinking of something where you can use your phone as you would your remote. Maybe like a sticky pad remote or something???
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
biometrics for opening doors.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

I believe that the incar computers like what Drivesoft offers will begin to become the new thing as the price drops....

I have only seen these units at contests but from what I experianced they were Very cool.....

MAXST....Biometrics for the doors is cool....Only downfall I would see is that anywhere you touch leaves behind a fingerprint.....All someone would have to do is reproduce the print....

I guess they could do Retna scanning but that would take a lot more....The keyfobs that are transmitters like the ones that Mercedes use is pretty close to that right now...

New Technologies -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
First off, the cellphone/car alarm thing will be in the future, you can do it now. There are a few companies that allow you to use a combination b/t GPS and Cell phone to track and interact with your car. It is expensive though.
Biometric doors: BMW or one of those euro companies is doing this too.
I read an article about Clarion coming out with a full blown in-dash carputer. I never have heard anything about else about it though.
I'm still waiting on the hover car.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Do the new mini mac..thing could hit in a double din EASY.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
My company invested lots of money into in-car computer with little returns. I think the future of that is fairly limited atleast for the near future.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
I think the near future is 42 - 48 volt electrical systems and more drive-by-wire systems in vehicles.  Also look for more wireless interconnects using bluetooth or something like it making its way to car audio (bluetooth wi-fi between HU and amplifiers, for example.)  The higher voltage systems will have the biggest potential impact for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is none of the current 12-volt gear will function without an adapter.  Higher voltage supply means higher power in a smaller chassis, smaller gage wire for today's power levels leading to less weight, size and cost, and less heat generation leading to longer life-spans.  I also think that as more companies use integrated computerized "brains" in cars including radio, CD, Navigation, security and other functions in one chassis, the after-market will have to find ways to integrate into these systems rather than replace them since replacing them will destroy many of the vehicle's functions.  Another place wireless may help.
Support the12volt.com
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot where I saw it but I've seen a wireless input adapter for overheads, so you don't have to run rca cables... I guess it was cool but I wonder what the price tag is.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic