icon

dual voice coil?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crzycreations 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, I know that dual voice coil subs can be wired parallel and in series and what not, but i was wondering if you can just power one voice coil at the rated rms without damaging the sub? I don't completly understand how speakers are made. So basically what i want to know is: does "dual voice coil" mean that there are just 2 different terminals to the single voice coil for wiring flexibility or are there 2 independent voice coils that have a power terminal for each?   thanks,

-Ryan

-Don't buy it, Build it-
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Two independent voice coils, electrically separate from one another. ...and yes, you can run one VC, and leave the other "free-wheeling", it will hurt nothing, HOWEVER, that being said, the specs of the driver will be different than the manufacturer will provide for you...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
crzycreations 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
thanks haemphyst, i really apreciate it
-Don't buy it, Build it-
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
And the power rating is usually halved unless it is listed as "per voice coil."
Support the12volt.com
crzycreations 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for my inexperience, but do you mean that it is halved if I only power one voice coil? for example: say I have a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub rated at 200 watts rms and i only power one of the 4 ohm voice coils, then I would only be able to put 100 rms to the one voice coil?

In essence I'm wondering if what you are saying is that you cannot supply the rated (200 wrms) to a single voice coil?

-Don't buy it, Build it-
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  But it depends on the woofer.  Some brands give power ratings "per voice coil" and others give ratings "with both voice coils wired."  If it's "per," then the listed rating would be fine into one VC.  If it's "both," then cut the number in half if using only one.

There are many reasons NOT to power only one VC other than power questions, not the least of which haemphyst mentioned: the Q (and other) ratings of the woofer will change and must be measured to build the correct enclosure.

Support the12volt.com
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
What would be a reason to only run one VC?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
crzycreations 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

If I had a sub that's dual 4 ohm and have an amp that can put out the rated rms at a single 4 ohm.

Before I knew much about audio and wiring I put a dual voice coil sub into a powered home sub whos amp only put single 4 ohm, and i guess that's why it sounded so crappy.

I also was just kind of curious. I now understand, thanks guys

sorry if the question was stupid, that was just one part that i didn't quite understand yet, and hopefully the last lol.

thanks again

-Don't buy it, Build it-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic