icon

Falsing after adding new sensors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

I have an Avital Avistart 6500 in my '97 Nissan Sentra.  I recently added an audio sensor, a digital tilt sensor and two 530T window modules.  I installed the 530T modules one weekend and everything was working great.  I later added the audio sensor and the tilt sensor and now when I arm the alarm, I get the four chirps, instead of the normal two, which indicates a malfunctioning "optional sensor".  I know that it's either the audio sensor and/or the tilt sensor causing the problem. 

I've suspected that there is too much draw off of the "ground when armed" (200 mA) output from the alarm that is hooked into both 530T window modules and supply the ground power for the audio sensor and tilt sensor when the alarm is armed.  To try to correct this, my plan was to wire in a relay to give a good solid ground current to the four components and use the "ground when armed" (200 mA) output to trigger this relay to send a good solid ground signal to the two windows modules, audio and tilt sensors when the alarm is armed.  I was also getting a lot of falsing in the middle of the night when I was at work (working 3rd shift) and need to correct this.

Can anyone give me any advice on this one?   If I wire in this relay to give ground power to the "ground when armed" input wires of my four components, will this correct my problem and stop the system "malfunctioning sensor alert" and stop the falsing that I'm experiencing some nights?

Four components again are:

1. 530T Window module

2. 530T Window module

3. 506T Audio sensor

4. 507T Tilt Sensor

Thanks in advance for any advice that I can get quickly... I'd like to try to address this issue today if possible.  Thanks to the pros that know how to correct this issue.

Bret

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
did you diode isolate the sensors? one could be backing up into another.
bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

I did diode isolate the two sensors that are sharing the single "optional sensor input" wire on the alarm.  I made sure to do this because I know of people who have had problems with this in the past when "stacking" sensors on a single wire.

I actually decided to go ahead and wire the relay in, but I'm still having the same problem.  I do have the tilt sensor set on the most sensitive setting for motion and 1 degree tilt, but the alarm alerts me immediately (upon arming) that there is a malfuction.  I just can't quite put my finger on what is causing it.  I guess I could try hooking up the sensors one at a time to see if perhaps one is bad, but I know that in most cases that is NOT the case.

Any other ideas would be appreciated...  I'm quicking coming to a mental dead end on this one...  Falsing after adding new sensors -- posted image.

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
misterjimbo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

when i stack sensors i usually get independent power and ground for them. jsut an idea

bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Though I haven't done this, I'm struggling to see the advantage (excuse my ignorance).  I do have a single power wire (fused) that powers the two sensors and the relay switched that grounds the two sensors' negative wire when the alarm gets armed.  I'd hate to wire in TWO relays to ground each sensor independantly, just to have independent power to each sensor, though if that MUST happen in order to correct the issue, I guess I would do it.

Is there anything else that could be suggested before trying that?  Or, do you feel confident enough that will resolve the issue that you'd recommend that I go ahead and try it?  I think that the audio sensor only draws like 10 mA of power.  I'm not sure what the tilt sensor draws.  I'm sure that the window modules draw a little more than each of the sensors though.

misterjimbo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

i am sorry, i should have clarified. what i meant was that you should not use the small awg wires that coem out of say the shock sensor port to power two sensors. i do not see a problem with your current set up. maybe someone else can assist

bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Some additional information:

It appears that neither of the sensors are active.  I guess whatever is causing the problem is turning OFF the optional sensor input wire on the alarm, because I can whack the glass with my keys and nothing happens and after the tilt sensors 10 second arming delay and can push up and down on the bumper without setting off the alarm.  So, whatever the problem is (whether it's with the audio sensor or the tilt sensor) it disabled the input for both sensors.  The shock sensor still works, but of course it has it's own input.

This has really got me stumped.  I have gone over my connections several times and cannot see where anything is wrong.  Any addtional light that can be shed on the subject is greatly appreciated!

ken984 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Having a relay active while the car is off will definitely drain your battery fairly quick, probably if you leave it more than 24 hrs it will be dead. Which direction did you put the diodes? If you put them with the line towards the alarm then they will not be able to trigger. Make sure the line is on the side of the sensors, unless they put out a +12 but I have never run across a sensor that did that.
bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

The diodes are in the correct direction (cathode side toward the sensors).  The sensors are both negative trigger output. 

I hadn't given much thought to the relay draining the battery.  I do use the car every day, but certainly don't want to find myself in a situation with a dead battery.

I'm running out of ideas real fast.  If anyone has any other thoughts on what maybe causing this, I'd greatly appreciate your input....

bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone Else have any other suggestions?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic