icon

good subs for spl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

anyone have any opinions on subs for spl...i have blown yet another pair of subs...the subs that are destined to make me happy have to be able to do one thing...take a lot of abuse and a lot of power...i am a big believer in the theory that most of the "quality" relies on the install however good subs never hurt...but with as loud as i listen to my setup sq isn't really a realistic goal...don't get me wrong...i still like to make it sound good loud...but loud is my main interest...so any suggestions would be wonderful...looking for a couple good twelves that would do okay with a jbl 2200.1 amp...i have upgraded my electrical system and i like to get what i paid for out of my amp...any help would be great...thanks

Sancho 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
look at RE XXX, Kicker L7, MTX 9500
Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
Amp:JBL 80.4
Amp:JBL 1200.1
Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

What did you previously have?

Regardless, Sancho is on the right path.  You need to look for massive power handling and excursion capabilities.  Place them in a small sealed box to maximize the power handling.  If I had your goal the RE XXX 18" would be near the top of my shortlist.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
RE XXX, Adire Brahma(?), RE MT
www.readuio.com for two SPl subs, you might need more power.. RE XXX RMS is 1600, Total is 2500 (but that doesn't really mean you need all that to get full loudness and such)
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
RE XXX, Adire, RE MT
www.readuio.com for two SPl subs, you might need more power.. RE XXX RMS is 1600, Total is 2500 (but that doesn't really mean you need all that to get full loudness and such)
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

subs that i've had wether they were for a brief period of time or not are as listed...

jbl gti's...jl w7s...audiobahn sound q's...mtx 8000's...adire brahma's (did not understand all the hype...at least not for spl)...rf p3's...alpine type r's...power acoustic fubr's and mofo's (those were a joke)...idmax...and many other numerous however non-noteworthy subs...imo

by the way...thanks for all the quick reply's

bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah...also tried out a friends soundstream davincis and tarantulas...wasn't very happy with those either
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

Place them in a small sealed box to maximize the power handling

i thought ported enclosures are generally more geared towards spl and sealed were towards sq...i'm not doing this for competitions or anything...however i've never seen someone with a sealed box win anything for spl...correct me if i'm wrong though

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
They are but sealed enclosures allow you to handle more power. If you have blown up so many speakers it is not the speakers fault, but yours. Either you are using the system improperly or it has not been matched together properly. A speaker does not fail all on it's own, something must cause it to. If you are just plunking subs in the same box and expecting results, this is far from the correct way of doing things. I would want to discover why so many subs are being destroyed in the first place. I would want to know if it was overheating caused by too much power or a clipped signal causing distortion out of the subs. Perhaps they are being run for too long a time period before being allowed to cool. So many possibilities and before I suggest yet another pair of subs for you to torture and pronounce nfg, I would want to know the root cause of the problem. Post more about the system and vehicle please.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bumpingjeep 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

rebuilt alt...two deep cycle batteries...and a vented/ported box built to spec as far as tuning freq and air space goes for each of the subs...or as close to the reccommended air space as i can get with the space i have

i know that its my fault that they blow...i abuse them...i listen to them very loud for long periods of time...i'm the guy that gets hardly any use out of the volume knob on my stereo and pisses a lot of people off at stoplights...i've had eight noise ordinance violations since i got into car audio a few years ago...wreckless...i know...but i like to have fun with my toys...and i never drive through neighborhoods like that nor do i listen to it that loud to early or late in the day...as far as distortion or clipping goes...maybe in the earlier setups...but i have learned some and try to stay away from that

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic