the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Another Battery Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I have read the topics on dual batteries and I don't quit understand them.  I am going to install 2 batteries in my SRT-4.  One in the front and one in the trunk.  Now I will not be listening to my system with the car off.  With that said do I need a isolater?  How do I hook the two batteries up just + to + and - to -?  Also, do I need a fuse running from the front battery and the back battery?  If so, how do I determine what size fuse.  I am going to run 1/0 for the batteries and 4ga extra ground to my body from the front battery and 1/0 for the main gounds for the batteries.  I would have bought a bigger alt but, I am tring to buy a house and my alt is like 500 dollars and the reseaon I am running the batteries is because my distributor sells them and I got a great price.  The alt I would have to pay full price and I just don't have that kind of money right now to get the alt.  If you would please let me know what else I could do or will this hook up be ok for about 6months until i get the money to get the alt. 

Thanks

skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

Actually I would not use an extra battery if your using the stock alternator, you will be overworking the alternator big time as now its has to try and charge both batteries, run your sound system and all of your cars electronics

Id say just use what you have already, do a BIG3 upgrade to all your wiring, Id Suggest 1/0 AWG if you can afford it and then wait until your ready to add HO Alternator
Its your call in the end,  so good luck with it

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
Walkercustoms 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

I was going to put it in just for future system upgrades.  The stock alt is 135amps so, I thought that would be ok to run the second battery.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

your stock alt is fine for everyday type listening.....If your gonna bang the crap out of your stuff....upgrade!

If you get a good isolater, then they will have good instructions as well. They are simple to install.

Just fuse it up good and youll have NO problems. (by that I mean get ready for that eventuall alt. upgrade) fuse it in the back as well.

Walkercustoms 
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Where can I pick up an isolater?  Discount Auto?  What do I look for?

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I don't think you need a second battery if you're not going to listen with the car off. I have a vehicle with 3 amps and a 105 amp alt and it does all I need.  I can even listen with the car off for awhile with no problems. That said if you insist on doing it you can use google and search for battery isolator and you will find plenty of them.
moshpitmickey 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with you that 135 amp alternator will work fine. I have a 105 amp alt. running to two batteries. I'll admit this is a strain but I am pulling much more current than the equipment you described. I used an isolator for a long time but actually only for playing the system with the engine running. Just parallel the terminals with good wire and proper fuse. Ground the second battery also. If you do decide to get an isolator make sure it is rated for over 130 amps. Stinger makes several models.

moshpitmickey
Walkercustoms 
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

I am running V918XD Visonik 1500rms at 14volt and 500rms Visonik 4ch.  They say I need to run a 275min fuse for those number.  1/0 wire and I am just going to install the one gel for now and see what happens.  I bigger alt is in the budget but, getting a house it taking pride over that right now I just need to get it hooked up before april 16 and with on batt I should be good.

Thanks

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
If your batteries are exactly the same you can wire them in parallel.. you'll get a little more voltage over an isolator. U should hook 'em up to a 200 amp relay tho so they only connect when you turn the ignition on to start the car.
seriously, if you have the same batteries don't isolate them that would be a waste.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic