icon

Lifes Good, but for how long?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  

The other day I installed an LG cd player...how long have LG been doing car audio?

this was $200 cd player and for it's price I cannot fault it! it has plenty of power dual outputs, radio mute, BMT controls, MP3 and even had RCA inputs as well as stacker controls.....sound quality?! supreme!!

Am I blind and have my head in the sand or have LG been doing this for a while?

For anyone looking for a budget head unit I have to recommend LG, maybe I might put one in my missus' car.......

Check all advice given with a meter
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
LG is a huge $40 billion Korean-owned company that began life as Goldstar.  They manufacture everything from vacuum cleaners to computers to riding lawn mowers in Korea and China and provide electronics for hundreds of companies including audio products for Sony, Phillips, Magnavox, Maytag, Rockford, Sharp, and many others.  They started marketing products under their own brand name Digital LG a couple years ago.
Support the12volt.com
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I know very little about that brand other than their computer products (monitors, processors, and RAM) and they are pretty decent from what I have seen, but from what DYohn says, it sounds like you got a deck from a solid company that has helped many other companies become solid themselves.

It sounds like a good idea to get it from the wiser big brother rather than get the "hand-me downs" from the little brother, not saying that any of the above mentioned companies are by any means "little companies" that will never succeed.

One thing to point out is that I have heard that they make really crappy cheap (home) DVD players.

I say it's definetely a good thing to take a risk and purchase a product from a company you have never heard of; you might just be suprised, but then again you may be dissappointed.  I have found a few really good brands that way, in fact I always recommend to stay away from a lot of the "popular"brands  like Sony because most of the time the cheaper or more mass produced it is the more popular it will be, because it is easier to obtain.
eh? what did you just say?
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
LG is the manufacturer of the largest LCD TV in the world right now I believe.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Francious70 wrote:
LG is the manufacturer of the largest LCD TV in the world right now I believe.
Paul

Yes, LG is partnered with both Phillips and Samsung making LCD displays.  LG Phillips has a 60" model currently available, although not quite affordable at over $20K.  Their very nice looking 40" screen is marketed through a company called EnCore as "Kreisen" brand, and goes for about $4K.  A remarkably low price, actually.  LCD is the next big thing in TV, as it offers Plasma picture quality without plasma short-lifetime headaches and no screen burn-in.

Support the12volt.com
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, but with LCD's ability to not get to quite black, more of a gray, I would just rather stick with a CRT Rear Projection.
Paul
DYohn 
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

:)  Yea, I understand, but try to mount a CRT rear projection system on the wall!  Lifes Good, but for how long? - Last Post -- posted image. 

LCDs are getting much better.  The new LG Phillips panels have 1200:1 contract ratio, and some of the Samsung panels achieve 1500:1 using clever backlighting techniques.  The image quality is getting very close to Plasma and will eventually exceed it at a much lower price point.  CRTs are of course still the best way to get max image quality.  Direct-view, though, not projection, if you want the best you can get.  Lifes Good, but for how long? - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
When you say direct view, do you mean front projection?? As of right now though, I have the space for a RP CRT, so that's what I have, plus the price is lower for better quality.
But if nobody buy LCD's and Plasma now, companys will loose interest in them and stop developing better tech. for them.
Paul
DYohn 
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Direct View is a large tube.  Standard CRT.

I have a nice Vidikron 9" CRTs front projector that is sitting in my garage.  Maybe someday I'll have the space to set it up...

Support the12volt.com
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
Haha, good luck with that. You're gonna need a big room for that.
Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic