icon

fiberglass dash, 2000 S10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hypnoticride 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 200 s10 and want to fiberglass just the piece around the cd player,you know the one that just snaps off,i was wondering if just resin would work or is mat or cloth needed?

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
What are you trying to do? I have a sneeking feeling that fiberglass isn't involved in your solution.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
hypnoticride 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
i know i could have probably get by without touching fiberglass but it looks really cool painted and i also want to shave the vents i know i need cloth or whatever for that but do i have to use it all over cause i will be sanding for hours on those curves.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

owning one of that year, i gather you are trying to fill in the extra space around the head unit's faceplate? that may be easier to do with liquid plastic than fiberglass, because it isnt a real large amount of space. as for shaving the vents, im not entirely sure why you would want to, but by all means.. anyway, i would say to take out the swivelling vent parts, put a little bit of fleece over the hole, soak it with resin, then glass a little bit. after that just fill it with bondo or plastic.

hypnoticride 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
i appreciate it im shaving the vents to move the head unit up there and put a tv where the head unit goes im also making a console for my hvac controls.thanx for ur help.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Liquid plastic is diff what you wanna use. Fiberglass will just make it harder than it needs to be. check out hzemall.com
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
well make sure you block off the duct to the vents you're shaving, because the last thing you want is to be driving when it's cold, turn the heat on, and have it blasting on the back of your deck.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Or have condensation drops all over the back of it in the summer time when you turn the air on.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Trinity 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
hey dude you might want to pull out some old issues of minitruckin where at the time when mike finneagan shaved his vents of that bodydropped toyota they did the same for some autometer gauges, looks pimp but i do agree with mondena0 about shavin the vents, my suggestions would be go get another trim piece and shave the whole thing for just shows and have one for everyday driving....
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Just remove the first section of duct going to those vents and tape up the end of whats left. That will give you extra space back there and eliminate the problem.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic