< Prev Topic Next Topic >
egiblock 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
 have a 99 dakota sport club cab
3 12" audiobahn subs
1 mtx amp pushing around 1500watts.
factory battery died while in storage this winter. it was old anyways.. so im trying to pick a new battery. a buddy of mine pointed me toward Odyssey batteries. the specs on the battery are as follows:
Drycell Battery
With Metal Jacket
12 Volt
26 Ah @ 10hr rate
380 CCA
925 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
53 Minute Reserve Capacity
Cycle life @ 77°F 400 at 100% DOD
i have no idea what this means, so i don't know if i am looking at something too low or too high. any sugestions about this, or point me in a new direction ?
thanks
-- Eric
amb4life 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I jsut recently purchased a battery. I got a Optima Red Top. I got it pretty cheap is the reason why i got it but it seems to be a good battery so far.
Eclipse 5435
US Amps Merlin MD2 x 2
US Amps Merlin MD42
Kicker Solo X 18"
MB Quart QSD216 x 2
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah Optima batteries are pretty good.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2005 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
380 cold cranking amps(cca) is not a whole lot to work with. I use duralast batts from autozone good price 3 year replacement. 800cca. very good batt I have 2 in my Bronco. no troubles
Big Dave
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
this is completely irrelevant but i have a 99 dakota R/T. you should check out the forums @ dakotausa.com (except not the car audio one, it mostly sucks compared to The12)
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
With 550 watts and the lights dimming a good amount while its turned up, should i get a new battery or should i do something else?
Volkswagen Golf
Alpine CDA-9851
Alpine MRD-M501
Alpine 12" Type R Ported
Alpine Guy is my hero
xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
a yellow top optima should help a lot, or go with an odyssey
egiblock 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

any particular odyssey to go with thats compariable or better than the yellow top ?

-- Eric
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

vwgolf1128 wrote:
With 550 watts and the lights dimming a good amount while its turned up, should i get a new battery or should i do something else?

If you take care of the " big 3" you should dramatically help your electrical problems. A battery (12 volt) only helps you when the car is off. If you listen to your stereo a lot with the engine off you might think about a better battery or two, otherwise don't waste your money. When the car is on your system runs off the alternator (14 volt). Also, you might consider a stiffening cap.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you take care of the " big 3" you should dramatically help your electrical problems. A battery (12 volt) only helps you when the car is off. If you listen to your stereo a lot with the engine off you might think about a better battery or two, otherwise don't waste your money. When the car is on your system runs off the alternator (14 volt). Also, you might consider a stiffening cap............................yes then the alternator is keeping two batteries charged! can it handle that...? thought of up-grading alternator...then get a regulator and have two batteries...anyway this topic has been covered before w/ some great answers...try that question in this sites search engine...! hope this helps
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic